cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Perfect Camera Bag?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Actually, there is [no] such thing as a perfect camera bag.  But, there are bags that are ideally suited for a given task.  

I have been looking for a bag that can carry two pro-size bodies, or full size bodies with grips, with 70-200mm lens still attached to each body.  I like to [go] hiking in the woods in search of wildlife to photograph, but mainly for the exercise.  I carry two bodies because I want to avoid changing lenses in the wild like the plague.

I like to carry the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM on a full frame body.  And, I like to carry the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L on a crop body like the 7D2, or on a full frame body like the 6D2, but with the EF 1.4x III extender.  Ideally, I would like to carry both combos, but you normally would need a backpack the size of a bath tub to carry both setups.

165A2A02-50B1-4B58-948A-1CD2150094D8.jpeg 5DFF1DCF-A98C-4A31-9316-5F94629704FF.jpeg EE25CA4D-B0EE-4F94-B3E2-56DEC8633064.jpeg

That is the problem I have been looking to solve.  I want to carry my gear while hiking in a well padded bag, but one that was not too large and heavy.  It is a Lowepro Magnum 200 AW.  I can carry those bodies, as shown, but without any extra lenses.  

If I want to go shorter than 70mm, I can fit an M3 with a EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, unattached though, in the side or front pocket.  The pockets have room for Zeiss cleaning kit, spare batteries and cards, and other small stuff.  My hands are now relatively free for walking trails.  And, I can carry a monopod, which doubles as a walking stick.  PERFECT for an old guy like myself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Does it have a waist belt to spread the weight between a shoulder strap & the waist belt? I'm old too & can't stand something hanging from my neck for more than a few minutes.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Does it have a waist belt to spread the weight between a shoulder strap & the waist belt? I'm old too & can't stand something hanging from my neck for more than a few minutes.

Negative, no waist belt.  There are no D-rings on the lower portion of the bag to attach one, either.  A waist belt would simply limit how much movement the bag would have as you move around.  I do not see how a belt could serve a load bearing role.

The strap has a very heavily padded area that comes in contact with your body.  It is probably close to 1-inch thick.  The strap can easily be adjusted to be long enough to wear the bag over either shoulder.  

This bag is a MUCH smaller and lighter option for carrying both bodies than the backpack that I used previously, which was more of a kit bag than something you would want to carry for more than a hundred yards.  

For me, this will work as an every day bag.  I can carry any two bodies, with any two mounted lens.  The only lens that I own that will not fit into this bag while attached is the Sigma 150-600mm, but it can easily fit unattached.  This bag is quite deep.

@cicopo wrote:

After using the bag some more, I kept wondering about your waist belt.  The bag still does not have a waist belt, nor does it have D-rings on the lower part of the bag to attach one.  BTW, there are tripod straps on the top of the bag, on the lid.

Although there are a couple of “sleeves” or “loops” that people in reviews claim can be used with a waist belt, I would not use them in that way.  They do not seem capable of supporting the weight of a fully loaded bag.  They appear to be hold downs for something like a bungee cord to stabilize the bag on a roll around.

Back to your waist belt.  I never carry a naked tripod on my shoulder bags.  Backpack, maybe.  Shoulder, never.  On rare occasions, I might carry a compact travel tripod in its’ included case, and I will use the strap for the tripod case to attach it to the bag.  It looks weird, but it works very well in bad weather.  We have all been caught out there in a sudden rain storm or shower.

While I was looking for a way to attach the tripod bag with its’ carrying strap, I noticed that i could attach the strap to the D-rings on the bag, and then go around my waist with it.  I carry the bag fairly low, so that the top of the bag is more or less at waist hieight!

So, I took tripod carry strap, attached it to the D-rings, and looped it around my waist!  Perfect again.  Now the bag does not bounce around on my hip as I walk around.  While this bag lacks the top opening like a messenger, that is not what I was looking for in a bag.  Besides, most of those openings are too small for a full size mode and 70-200, anyway.

My goal with this bag are to carry a couple of big bodies with big lenses still attached to a good spot, and camp out for a while with a monopod.  I would not mind finding a medium backpack that can carry the same gear without having to detach the lenses.  

But, I have gone for shoulder bags lately because they are easier to tote than a backpack on a hot day.  Backpacks make me sweat where it rests on my back.  Most of the time I carry a backpack like a sling for this exact reason.  To keep it off of my back on warmer days.  I am still looking for a backpack that carry the combos, too.  For me, having free hands is a must.

Thanks. That's very useful information. I have 2 different sized bags with the shoulder / waist belt set up & do use them that way at times. I also have a large backpack bag (Tamrac Expedition 7) which might work for 2 assembled bodies with said lenses attached. I'll set things up to see. My standard set up for RC events is similar to what you're carrying on those hikes. Fortunately I don't carry it around that much once I set up.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Am always impressed with your bag recommendations.  I carry a Slingshot Edge 250AW

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Am always impressed with your bag recommendations.  I carry a Slingshot Edge 250AW

Thank-you!

I have considered a sling style of bag, but wanted to see if there was a shoulder bag that could fill the bill. I tried a messenger style and fell in love with the over and across the shoulder carrrying strap options.

I typically carry my backpacks as a sling, and was constantly adjusting it every couple of minutes as I hiked around.  This would force me to keep one hand on the strap to stabilize it from slipping, which meant I did not have two free hands.

I think Lowepro makes great products.  They are well thought out designs.  This is a relatively small bag that can carry big items.

Announcements