cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Street photography today

John_SD
Whiz

This would be an interesting time to do some street photography in places like San Diego, L.A. and San Francisco. We are allowed to get groceries, pick up food, go to the bank, go to the pharmacy/doctor;s walk the dog, etc. While I generally agree with Joel Meyerowitz that phones have killed street photography, this would be an interesting time to be on the street, even if for a short time. 

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

In many places it will be empty street photography: which, during the day, is a pretty rare thing.   One sees such images on apocolyptic movies but to get to see such a thing in real life...

I live in Auckland, NZ.  Our highways are notorioius for gridlock because Auckland is built on an isthmus: the city is thus very long and narrow and that is exacerbated by one stretch that is barely a km wide in one place, so there are not many roads. 

As companies get staff to work from home, or businesses shut down, the rush hour(s) have become noticeably less congested. I was in the central city on Wednesday at 5:00pm for a photo shoot and instead of the usual crowds of people waiting for transit there were buses going off almost empty - surreal...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

In many places it will be empty street photography: which, during the day, is a pretty rare thing.   One sees such images on apocolyptic movies but to get to see such a thing in real life...

I live in Auckland, NZ.  Our highways are notorioius for gridlock because Auckland is built on an isthmus: the city is thus very long and narrow and that is exacerbated by one stretch that is barely a km wide in one place, so there are not many roads. 

As companies get staff to work from home, or businesses shut down, the rush hour(s) have become noticeably less congested. I was in the central city on Wednesday at 5:00pm for a photo shoot and instead of the usual crowds of people waiting for transit there were buses going off almost empty - surreal...

It's the same here -- surreal. The streets are virtually empty in many areas of town, yet there are reports of the occassional zombie walking around, cluthing on to their phone like it's a baby bottle. 

Things aren't so desolate here in Albuquerque. yet. But I flew last week and there were only about 50 people on the plane for each leg, very rare for Southwest Airlines.

I'm in a rural area & happy to stay home enjoying my hobbies etc. I have a Dr's appointment Monday AM that I thought would be cancelled but they phoned today to say "be there" so I'll get a glimpse of what Ottawa roads look like then. On the news there isn't much traffic during the evening rush hour though & that's thinning out daily as more things shut down. As for flying Air Canada laid off 5100 staff today & more cuts are expected. The airline industry is really going to get hurt big time

Everyone stay safe & share your local situation from time to time.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I think that photographic fora such as this, photographyonthe.net, cambridgeincolour etc. will be havens for us when we are constricted from going out.  They will offer a means to socialize with people who share our interests without risk.

I'm already in a form of lockdown - with a partner suffering cancer and no immune system to speak of, it's important that I don't get sick, so I'm staying out of society when possible.

Lots of old photos to consider processing, books to read and some projects around the house, but it's easy to suffer cabin fever under such conditions and I suspect this is going to be the new normal for some time...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

I think that photographic fora such as this, photographyonthe.net, cambridgeincolour etc. will be havens for us when we are constricted from going out.  They will offer a means to socialize with people who share our interests without risk.

I'm already in a form of lockdown - with a partner suffering cancer and no immune system to speak of, it's important that I don't get sick, so I'm staying out of society when possible.

Lots of old photos to consider processing, books to read and some projects around the house, but it's easy to suffer cabin fever under such conditions and I suspect this is going to be the new normal for some time...

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. In photography, there's always something to learn, at least at my level. Even if you can't get out to shoot, there are books and magazines to read, online courses to take, and I can always spend time in Lightroom (and its tutorials) improving my post skills. The outdoors will still be there when this is over with. At least I hope so.

Announcements