cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straps--neck or shoulder?

John_SD
Whiz

For you guys or gals who do a lot of outdoor photography and are walking a lot, do you prefer your camera around your neck or shoulder? I have a feeling I'll be carrying mine across the shoulder as I'm finding the camera bounces around with the strap around my neck.

Received my refurbished Rebel T6 from Canon yestrday and have it set up and ready to go. I really like it. Pretty easy to set up, especially having spent some time with the manual. A handful of initial shots in 'A' mode reveal nothing weird, unexpected or alarming. Looking forwrd to spending a few hours at the local tide pools over the weekend at low tide and a lot more hours in the desert. I've got a 58mm B+W UV filter and can't wait to get outdoors. I've considered a lens hood, but can't think of how it will protect me at the seashore, tidepools or out in the dusty desert. But I'm open to any and all suggestions.

21 REPLIES 21

@diverhank wrote:

Ha ha, talking about taking a tumble...Once I was at a beach at sunset taking pictures...before even had a chance to mount my camera on the tripod, a rogue wave came in and knocked me off my feet.  I was totally submerged but somehow managed to keep my 5D Mark III and the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II lens above water and undamaged...I was even impressed with myself 🙂

Dude, that is awesome. Canon should have you in one of its ads! Have a split-screen -- you getting caught in a nasty rip current but keeping your 5D high and dry, and the other half of the screeen shows a N*@on dude getting his D5 soaked playing around on a slip 'n slide. Hahahaha!

@John_SD wrote:

Since I live in San Diego, I usually hit the Point Loma tide pools, the ones by Cabrillo. Haven't gotten splashed yet, though I've t aken a tumble a time or two on the rocks. When I'm up at Crystal Cove, I'm either on the sand or at the Shake Shack LOL. 

I've taken a tumble, too.  That's why I carry my camera in a heavily padded holster when I'm hiking around the woods.  I use one that can hold a pro size body with a 70-200mm lens, and a reversed hood, attached.  I spend time around lakes and beaches, too.  

The holster also has a rain cover, which is good for keeping dirt and dust off of the bag.  When the cover get dirty, I can throw it in a washing machine.  Seeing how much I paid for the camera/lens, it makes sense to me to do all I can to protect it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements