Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Shutter count

I just bought a used 1DS MKII.  The camera had a new shutter installed by Canon last year and the first owner then stored it. I was curious about shutter count so went to myshuttercount.com and after uploading a JPEG from the camera, was told the camera had 28,388 activations.  

My question:  Canon resets the count after a new shutter is installed.  Would that reset effect the information that myshuttercount gathers from a JPEG?

Reputable Contributor

Re: Shutter count

[ Edited ]

They do reset it. 28k is not a lot. I think the first owner just says he/she "store" but in reality he/she means "i don't use it as much".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
New Contributor

So a JPEG from a camera with a new shutter would record data based on the new shutter setting?  Yes I'm not concerned about 28k and have the Canon receipt documenting the shutter installation. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know anything about the program you used to check the count (many aren't very reliable) but Google 1D Count & see if you can find the link to that site. It seems to be reliable based on many comments I've read over the years. (Doesn't work on mark 3's & later.) 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Think about it, 28k actuation shouldn't wear out the camera shutter release especially on a 1D camera.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide