cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Images - Vixia HF G50 vs EOS 5D IV

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

In researching a move to an EOS C70, I took my existing gear and captured some 4K footage of my kitchen.  This was during the day so some daylight coming in through semi-sheer curtains.  Overhead lights on.  When metering, a correct exposure was f/2.8, 1/50 s and ISO 800.  Which was perfect since for the C70, I'll have an f/2.8 lens, the base ISO is 800, and I would shoot in 24 fps so shutter would be 1/48 s.

I set up a tripod and attempted to frame the scene the same way.  Settings of my current gear:

EOS 5D IV, 50mm f/1.2 L @ f/2.8, 1/50 s, ISO 800 DCI-4K, 23.976 fps

Vixia HF G50, f/2.8, 1/48 s, Gain 18 dB, UHD, 23.976 fps

Here are some crops showing 1:1 pixel sizes:

First, the 5D

eos_5D_IV.png

Next, the G50:

vixia_hf_g50.png

And now some magnified images.  First, the 5D again:

eos_5D_IV_detail.png

And then the G50:

vixia_hf_g50_detail.png

The Vixia maxes out with a Gain of 24 dB.  That would then be ISO 1600.  You can already see a huge amount of noise.  And for dark scenes, the only way to try to compensate would be to drop the shutter speed.  But if that's then below 1/24 s, the footage is rather useless.

The C70 will have at least 3 stops of ISO (up to 6400) while footage would still be very usable (much cleaner then the Vixia samples above).  Plus, its DGO sensor along with the bigger photo sites should even lead to cleaner footage than the 5D IV.

For reference, here's a graphic I made showing the various sensor sizes of various equipment along with the relative sensor site sizes.

sensor_sizes.png

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Nice work!

I think you're going to like the C70.  You can define shutter speed as you would with a DSLR, or as a shutter angle.  I have found a preference for shutter angle with my C100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you!

Yes, I do prefer shutter angle.  I briefy owned a Sony PXW-X70 and enjoyed the more video-centric sets of features.  And so looking forward to having controllable built-in NDs again.  The Vixia HF G50 has internal NDs, but one doesn't have direct control.   With a fixed shutter and gain, as you stop down the aperture, once you reach around f/5.6, it will then automatically apply more and more ND.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements