cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors of Canon's first full frame mirrorless camera?

John_SD
Whiz

"Canon will release two full frame mirrorless cameras before the middle of 2019, the first one to come will be the “flagship” model for this new line of cameras. As reported earlier this camera will sport a 30.4mp sensor that could be closely related to the EOS 5D Mark IV.

"The second full frame mirrorless body will be a lower megapixel count. We’ve seen mentions of various pixel counts, which isn’t unusual, as test cameras can come with a wide array of different image sensors. The most likely pixel count will be around 24mp, we do not believe they’ll be using the EOS 6D Mark II’s 26.2mp sensor, or even a modified version of it."

Personally, I don't find it hard to believe. The response to the M3 was lukewarm at best, and Sony has blown the competition out of the water so far. If Canon hopes to be competitive with mirrorless, they have to get into the game in earnest. 

In addition, Nikon is also rumored to release a full-frame mirrorless at around the same time. Could we one day see the DSLR go the way of the SLR and film? 

See canonrumors dot com

13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am not a mirrorless fan.........................yet.  It is not just good enough to just equal the performance of current DSLR but to improve on it.   Otherwise, why?  What we have is doing a nice job already.

Mirrorless cameras are the future, Ernie. And what's not to like? Don't you want to get rid of mirror slap and of the size and complexity of the mirror system?

Nevertheless, I agree with you that there's still a ways to go before we see a viable mirrorless of professional quality. But we'll never get there unless people like John of Saint Dickie take the lead in trying and evaluating what the manufacturers throw at us.

A week ago I basked in the confidence that my new 5D4 was the last camera I'd ever have to buy. Now I find myself hoping to live long enough to think I need a mirrorless 4D Mark II.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1Nevertheless, I agree with you that there's still a ways to go before we see a viable mirrorless of professional quality. But we'll never get there unless people like John of Saint Dickie take the lead in trying and evaluating what the manufacturers throw at us.

I have no idea who this John of Saint Dickie is, but he must be a very intelligent, successful and wealthy fellow. Glad you found someone you can turn to for leadership. I tip my hat to him!

" Don't you want to get rid of mirror slap and of the size and complexity of the mirror system?"

In the type of photography I do and have done this has not been an issue.  So, no, that alone would not interest me. I thought the 1D Mk IV was the last camera I would buy, too.  It did everything I wanted it to.  Until a bud showed me his 1DX.  Yeah, I had a good camera but the 1DX is at last twice better. I had to admit it and when Canon and stores discounted the 1DX it was too much to resist.  It is the best camera I have ever used.

That same principle will apply to any new models. If they are mirrorless or not.  Just equaling what I have will not win me over.  It has to do something I can't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" But we'll never get there unless people like John of Saint Dickie take the lead..."

I am all in for them to take one for the team.  Give us a fantastic report and review.  Yes all in, we are waiting.

On a side note, Robert, I still have friends that are in business with a 1Ds Mk III.  Nothing newer!  One guy I know still uses his 1D MkII.  Not even the 'n' version.  Why?  Why, because they are doing what they need them to.  Some full timers have to have the latest greatest but some are more concerned with the bottom line.  I guess they are the married ones that love their family!

Mirrorless for mirrorless sake is a none starter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements