cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retreiving RAW

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

I've been taking pictures in RAW for some time now, mostly because of the post processing. This evening I went into my archives and retreived a RAW file only to discobver that it apparently isn't in RAW . I'm obviously doing something wrong. What? I'm running PC with Windows 7 and use either CS6, Elements 11 or 12. Mostly 12. Any ideas...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK guys, I appreciate all the discussion, but after sifting through all the fodder, there wasn't anything of help. However, the discussion did promp me to look into the situation a lot further than I had in the past. What I came up with: after making my adjustments to the RAW file I save in TIF to whatever program I chose to open the RAW in, (usually CS6) that closes the RAW file sending it back to it's original location . If and when I re-open that RAW file it will open with the sliders just where I left them. At that point all I have to do is click on "defaults" tab and The file reverts to it's original settings, ie all sliders and adjustments move to "0". MY apologies for all the consternation. If I had done my home work ...........

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

This makes it sound like your statement is the only way.

"I have also taken an HDR shot, which requires you to shoot JPG only, and have forgotten to change it back to RAW."

Of course the better way to shoot an HDR is in post and not in the camera at all.  And the better way requires you to shoot in RAW format.

"Apparently, some cameras will only do in-camera HDR when you shoot as JPEG."

Perhaps so but a further knowledge of cameras would be better than citing a requirement to do so.  Don't you think?

Edit:

"I have caught myself shooting just JPG from time to time.  I have also taken an HDR shot, which and my camera requires you to shoot JPG only, and have forgotten to change it back to RAW."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"

This makes it sound like your statement is the only way.

"I have also taken an HDR shot, which requires you to shoot JPG only, and have forgotten to change it back to RAW."

Of course the better way to shoot an HDR is in post and not in the camera at all.  And the better way requires you to shoot in RAW format.

"Apparently, some cameras will only do in-camera HDR when you shoot as JPEG."

Perhaps so but a further knowledge of cameras would be better than citing a requirement to do so.  Don't you think?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practice what you preach.  Further knowledge on your part about Rebels, and other models, would be better than citing a requirement that isn't true.  For example, every Rebel Ti does it like this.  If you set HDR mode, it changes to JPG.

HDR_Shooting_Rebel_T5i.PNG

Every Canon DSLR that I have looked at performs in-camera HDR as JPEG files. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I never said they did or didn't.  At any rate it isn't the OP issue.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK guys, I appreciate all the discussion, but after sifting through all the fodder, there wasn't anything of help. However, the discussion did promp me to look into the situation a lot further than I had in the past. What I came up with: after making my adjustments to the RAW file I save in TIF to whatever program I chose to open the RAW in, (usually CS6) that closes the RAW file sending it back to it's original location . If and when I re-open that RAW file it will open with the sliders just where I left them. At that point all I have to do is click on "defaults" tab and The file reverts to it's original settings, ie all sliders and adjustments move to "0". MY apologies for all the consternation. If I had done my home work ...........

Announcements