cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for formally submitting an idea to Canon

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Over the past few months, I've been polling members of the local astrophotography community and have a general consensus for an idea that many of us would like to see incorporated in a full-frame EOS camera, along the lines of less-is-more, but having some very useful options.  I'd like to formally propose the idea to Canon.

I've telephoned Canon to discuss the idea, getting a rather lukewarm or tepid response from those I've talked with; I've even approached managers at the San Francisco Canon learning center and have been given a polite audience, but get the idea they'd rather have teeth pulled than to forward my suggestion formally to Canon.  I've asked those I've spoken with about formally proposing this to Canon and have been told they'd research this and call me back, but months have gone by without any information being sent to me regarding making formal proposal to them.

While I have extensive professional experience dealing with the Japanese corporate culture — even speaking both kyōtsūgo and kansai — I know that such proposals made by gaijin are not generally well-regarded. 

Any ideas of what might get Canon's attention?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen

Hello!

If you have a suggestion for improving an existing product or software, please start a new topic for discussion.  

If you're interested in submitting an idea for a new product, please see the following from the Terms of Use section of our site under section 4. User Generated Content here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/legal/terms-of-use

Unsolicited Ideas: Canon U.S.A. and its parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates have been actively engaged in research and development in diversified scientific and business areas for many years. In order to protect the interests of Canon U.S.A., its parent company, affiliates and subsidiaries in the ideas and information which have been conceived or developed internally, and to avoid possible future misunderstandings with you or others, Canon U.S.A. does not solicit ideas, inventions, work samples, materials, demos, and the like or agree to receive any confidential information from persons or entities outside the Canon Group. Canon U.S.A. maintains a strict policy of not accepting or considering any creative ideas, suggestions or materials from the public ("Unsolicited Idea(s)") and therefore you should not submit any Unsolicited Idea(s) to Canon U.S.A. in any User Generated Content through this Services or otherwise. Canon U.S.A. does not wish to receive Unsolicited Idea(s) from you and has expressly advised you not to submit them. If you nonetheless intend to submit an Unsolicited Idea, Canon U.S.A. strongly recommends that you first consult an attorney in order to evaluate the effect that submitting such an Unsolicited Idea would have on any rights that you might otherwise have.

Nonetheless, if you do send Canon U.S.A. an Unsolicited Idea that is not already protected by a United States patent or is not public information, it immediately becomes the property of Canon U.S.A. By submitting an Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., you agree to convey your ownership interest in the Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., and that Canon U.S.A. will exclusively own all rights, title and interest therein. Furthermore, Canon U.S.A. and its designees will be free to use, without any compensation to you whatsoever, any concepts, ideas, know-how or techniques contained in any Unsolicited Idea for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information. Neither Canon U.S.A. nor the Canon Group will be liable for such use or disclosure of such Unsolicited Idea or for any similarities in the Unsolicited Idea and any future uses or activities.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

"Canon ... I believe the company will lose much of its professional customers once Sony ... I don't think Canon will recover."

WOW, that's priceless. Gonna be pretty tough for Sony since they make no professional grade camera or lenses. I'll bet Canon  is quaking in their boots.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The idea I have would give Canon cameras a capability unrivaled in other consumer cameras (to my knowledge).  I really don't give a **bleep** whether I get any credit: I want to see Canon thrive as astrophotography cameras go, and what I would like to propose may do just that for the corporation.

The idea goes back decades and has been a subject of several photography professionals surveys, including professional astronomers — many of whom use Canon cameras in their own personal pursuit of astronomy.  The idea was born working with professional astronomers, and doing astrophotography for nearly a decade myself.

I'd suggest contacting me via email: after I validate whom I'm talking with, I'd gladly share my ideas with Canon.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

"Nonetheless, if you do send Canon U.S.A. an Unsolicited Idea that is not already protected by a United States patent or is not public information, it immediately becomes the property of Canon U.S.A. By submitting an Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., you agree to convey your ownership interest in the Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., and that Canon U.S.A. will exclusively own all rights, title and interest therein."

LOL.  

@John_SD wrote:

"Nonetheless, if you do send Canon U.S.A. an Unsolicited Idea that is not already protected by a United States patent or is not public information, it immediately becomes the property of Canon U.S.A. By submitting an Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., you agree to convey your ownership interest in the Unsolicited Idea to Canon U.S.A., and that Canon U.S.A. will exclusively own all rights, title and interest therein."

LOL. 

I don't think "already protected by a United States patent" necessarily gets you off of that hook. Check with a lawyer first if you want to protect your interest. And remind the lawyer that while Canon U.S.A. may be a U.S. company, its parent company isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements