cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for camera upgrade?

Bradenkr
Contributor

Hi evreyone! After shooting with my Rebel T3i for the last 4 years, I've decided it's time to upgrade. I am especially doing this because I now have a job photographing food, products, events, people, and various buildings in the city I work for. I do freelance as well, specifically for head shots and family photos. I want to upgrade past the rebel (I don't have a strong preference for Crop Sensor or Full Frame, but I'm leaning towards Full Frame) so I can take my photos to the next level. I just have no idea of where to start. There are SO many cameras and so many of them have the EXACT same ratings as another! If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate the help very much! Sorry for the novel! Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you want to stick with a crop sensor, then I would suggest the 80D or 7D Mark II.  I would pick the 80D, for certain.

If you want to go full frame, then I would suggest the 6D or 6D Mark II, or the 5D Mark III or Mark IV.   The choice here would be driven by your budget.  Judging from your goals, the 5D Series is the best choice.  But, the 6D Series may have the more familiar button layout.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Goodness, Upgrades are a dime a dozen. I wish that upgrades were such that didnt make a camera usless with some of the old "tried n true" softwarw. I love my "new" Canon M6 but it recordes things in CRZ format that Lightroom 5 dosent recgonise/ Whats the matter with RAW, just plain old RAW.??? Lightroom 5 handles all the stuff I shoot with my 7D and my 70D (both set to RAW mode, !!!!  Can any one tell me if my M6 can be reprogrammed to shoot RAW as opposed to CRZ ?  I HOPE, I HOPE, I HOPE!!!!!

"...Canon M6 but it recordes things in CRZ (CR2) format that Lightroom 5 dosent recgonise/..."

You need LR 6.1 or newer with ACR 9.1 installed.

"Can any one tell me if my M6 can be reprogrammed to shoot RAW as opposed to CRZ"

What is CRZ ?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

7D is a good camera, so is the M6.

I like lightroom 5 and photoshop...Forget the CC hassels.

Nothing wrong with 7D,70D or M6(except the m6 CRZ version of RAW!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I'm leaning towards Full Frame so I can take my photos to the next level."

It is a big mistake to think FF will take your photos to the next level alone.  One reason it could, however, is Canon doesn't put all the bestest Smiley Happy goodies in the crop cameras. But FF in itself is not a big advantage. Look at the 1 series, top of the line, which remained crop sensor for most of its life.  I still use one my 1D Mk IV, crop sensor, and I love it.

One thing to consider is build. With the use you seem to suggest in your post, the 7D Mk II or 5D Mk IV look like winners. I am not a fan of the 6D series but the 6D Mk II is pretty darn good without the build. It is the entry level FF Canon camera. These cameras, well not the 6 series so much, but the others have a real professional feel the moment you pick one up.

The 80D is also a nice choice and any or all you current lenses will work on it. If you choose any of the FF cameras, 6 series or 5 series or 1 series, none of your ef-s lenses will work. Of if you did want to stay Rebel the T7i is pretty darn good, too.

Let's compare;

7D Mk II,

80D   with Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens about $1700 with 7D2 about $2100+.

5D Mk IV,

6D Mk II with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens $2800 with 5D Mk IV about $3500+.

My choice? 5D Mk IV with EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  Yeah, I know, its a lot of coin but this is an absolutely a fantastic combo. Right now it don't get any better than that.

Bottom line any of these camera combo's will take excellent photos ,so you do really have to make a decision.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You have only referred to your camera body.  Can you let us know what lenses you are currently using?  For me, unless you already have invested in good glass, the most critical thing would be to consider the lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

All-purpose or specialty? I do OK with my 7D and a Tamron 18-400mm. (One mans opinion) ps, I also use my 100-400mm L series canon a lot.

Announcements