Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rookie needs help!

Unless you need some specific features, any Canon camera will do fine for you. A Rebel will be in your price range (T2i is one heck of a camera for the price) or you could get a 60d which will give you better ergonomics, battery, viewfinder, etc. Don't disount any camera, they are all capable of making great images for you.

I started with a T2i brand new, and at current prices, its a great deal but a model with a swivel screen (T3i or 60d really comes in handy and is worth it to me). Only reason I wouldn't recommend a T4i is I don't think its worth spending the extra vs a T3i/T2i/60d based on price vs performance at this point for you.

Starting out with the kit lens 18-55 will help your determine what focal length or speed (max apeture) you prefer and will want in your next lens while you learn the camera and basics. Smiley Happy