cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain, different lights at the track, One can learn a lot pretty quick

ilzho
Rising Star

Well, I took my equipment out to the race track and what a learning experiment. Now I know why I drink, haha, just kidding.

Being early evening (some natural light) in to late evening (stadium lights), cloudy, raining, bugs, flickering, under exposure, photo noise haha... One can learn a lot in a few hours.

This was my first time at night racing.

Not the best, but t least I can strive to do lots better.........

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzHs2MU

32 REPLIES 32

"Digital Photo Professional is also completely non-destructive, but the changes are saved in the same file as the photo itself. If you don't think that's a huge advantage, try it for a while and you'll see."

Maybe not so huge as you think.  I can make seemingly endless non-destructive edits with either DPP or LR to a RAW file.  BUT...

1.  If I edit a file in DPP, then I will see those edits in LR and cannot remove or undo them in LR.  They are part of the file.

2.  If I edit a file in LR, then I will NOT see those edits in DPP.  But, any edits I do perform will show up as permanent in LR.

[EDIT]  For example, crop a photo in DPP.  Now open it in LR.  It shows up cropped, and you cannot undo it, except in DPP.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

[EDIT]  For example, crop a photo in DPP.  Now open it in LR.  It shows up cropped, and you cannot undo it, except in DPP.

I tried and it did not duplicate this behavior.

The only thing I can think of, is you chose 'Save' at the top of the Crop window in DPP, which saves a JPG copy of the file. The RAW file remained uncropped in LR.

@TTMartin wrote:

The only thing I can think of, is you chose 'Save' at the top of the Crop window in DPP, which saves a JPG copy of the file. The RAW file remained uncropped in LR.

Of course, I chose "Save".  If you do not, then any edits you made are immediately discarded.  You proved my point.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

Of course, I chose "Save".  If you do not, then any edits you made are immediately discarded.  You proved my point.

No they are not. It just show that you are not really familiar with DPP. The issue is the user, not the software.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

No they are not. It just show that you are not really familiar with DPP. The issue is the user, not the software.

You're talking about a different "Save".  I'm talking about saving the edits/changes you've made to RAW files, not saving an output file.  I only use cropping as an example because the results of the changes are so obvious.

Okay, if you don't like cropping, then change it to black and white.  When you get ready to close DPP, and it prompts you to "Save the changes?"  Click yes. 

As Bob pointed out, the changes are saved in the file.  Lightroom reads those changes as permanent, not temporary.

@Waddizzle wrote:

You're talking about a different "Save".  I'm talking about saving the edits/changes you've made to RAW files, not saving an output file.  I only use cropping as an example because the results of the changes are so obvious.

Okay, if you don't like cropping, then change it to black and white.  When you get ready to close DPP, and it prompts you to "Save the changes?"  Click yes. 

As Bob pointed out, the changes are saved in the file.  Lightroom reads those changes as permanent, not temporary.

I tried what you described, and Lightroom did NOT read those as permanent changes.

Cropping is one thing that is destructive in PS. It can not be put on a layer. It isn't in LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I tried what you described, and Lightroom did NOT read those as permanent changes."

I must agree.  LR didn't.

Untitled-1.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I tried what you described, and Lightroom did NOT read those as permanent changes."

I must agree.  LR didn't.

Untitled-1.jpg

It does for me.

If I make edits to RAW file in DPP, and then save the changes, I immediately see those changes in LR when I open the file, but not vice versa.  In particular, I had one file [a macro of a bee] that was cropped in DPP4, and I couldn't "uncrop" the file in LR6.  I had to re-open the file in DPP4 and remove the cropping before it opened up cleanly in LR6.

Unfortunately, I cannot retest this until several hours from now.  I have also had LR do an update about a month ago that seemed to roll back, or disable some of its' features.  Most noticeable is a difference on the tab to perform lens correction in the Develop module.  I now have just two sub-tabs, where I used to have four.

Remember I am not a DPP fan nor am I a user. I simply did what you said.  I actually have no idea beyond curiosity what DPP does or doesn't do. I use it so little.  When I opened it the moths flew away as I must have disturbed them.

You guys can say what you want and brag all you want.  Do as much boasting as you want and DPP will never be Photoshop.

As a psuedo Lightroom, yeah, maybe but not for me. It remains a wanna-be!

EB
Announcements