cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me to choose Canon camera and optics

rushabPmore
Apprentice

Hello everyone!

Please help me choose a new Canon camera and optics for my needs. The budget is from about 2500-5000 USD. But the closer the sum is to 5000 the less is the probability of them buying it...

I work as a photographer in an institute of plastic surgery.

My work consists of:

Taking before and after pictures of patients in a studio with lightning. Various body parts. Mostly faces and torso. Sometimes close up shots needed.
Taking pictures of surgeries in an operating room.
Event photography for the website and social media. Examples are conferences, lectures, celebrations.
Making portraits of surgeons and stuff in the clinic.
Sometimes I need to record videos as well. But that is not necessary.
My preferences. I personally like fixed optics with wide aperture. I think I would love to have 50 and 85 mm at least.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would look at the EOS 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  A top of the mark combo and it will come in for less than $2000.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, if you prefer a FF option, look at the EOS 6D Mark II and Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  This option, again a great combo, is a little north of $3000.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would look at the EOS 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  A top of the mark combo and it will come in for less than $2000.

Make that "less than $2600", because for event photography you'll need a 600EX-RT external flash to go with it. With that lens (an excellent recommendation, BTW) the 80D's built-in flash will be useless, because the lens will cast a shadow in its coverage area.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rushabPmore wrote:

Hello everyone!

Please help me choose a new Canon camera and optics for my needs.

1. My work consists of:
  2. Taking before and after pictures of patients in a studio with lightning.
  3.  Various body parts. Mostly faces and torso. Sometimes close up shots needed.
  4. Taking pictures of surgeries in an operating room.
  5. Event photography for the website and social media. Examples are conferences, lectures, celebrations.
  6. Making portraits of surgeons and stuff in the clinic.
  7. Sometimes I need to record videos as well. But that is not necessary.
  8. My preferences. I personally like fixed optics with wide aperture. I think I would love to have 50 and 85 mm at least.

The 80D is very good prosumer camera body.  But, Item #4 says go for the weather sealed 7D Mark II.  You have a wide range of shooting scenarios.  I see at least 2-3 lenses.

I would recommend the EF-S 60mm f/2,8 Macro lens, which is on sale at a deep discount in the Canon Online Refurbished store while they last.  This lens can do double duty in place of a 50mm prime.  The better choice would be an “L” series 100mm or 180mm macro lens.

Most of your scenarios are indoors, many at close quarters.  The already mentioned EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS STM lens would be a good choice for indoor events, as would an external flash.  An external flash would be good to have, but you say that you will use studio lights.  The flash would be good for indoor events, but you can get by with a wide aperture fairly often.

I think I have hit your budget, or close to it.  The next lens I would recommend would an EF 70-200mm Canon L Series lens.  Any of them would be good, but the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM is a GREAT lens, which has been recently superseded by a version III of the lens.

Lastly, you will likely want to invest in a tripod.  Buy a professional grade tripod.  I have bought mine online from B&H PhotoVideo during one of their daily “Deal Zone” specials.  I bought them at clearance prices.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nox
Apprentice

I would choose Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for better picture and video quality which is under budget as well. So, i suggest you go with that for now.

You may also check other ideas provided by the canon users below; if you consider my answer, i am pretty sure you won't get disappointed.

I did Not Use This Camera Till But it Dolo 650 Tablet
Announcements