cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pics look warmer on iphone

mattfisher5
Contributor

I've noticed that when I edit a picture on my laptop in Corel paintshop pro x7, then I view the image in my phone, the image always looks warmer. Any idea why that is? They also tend to look a little softer as well. I've attached an example of the same image. One after emailing it to my phone and downloading it, and the other a picture of the same picture on my laptop screen

thanks,

Matt IMG_0104.JPGIMG_0104.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you familiar with the concept of having a calibrated monitor? 

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

Having a calibrated monitor is crucial for reproducing the correct colors when printing.  The display on your iPhone should [NOT] be regarded as a calibrated display. 

The display on your computer may, or may not, be capbable of being precisely calibrated.  Some laptop displays have a narrow angle of view, which require that you view the monitor from only a certain angle, or sweet spot, to properly view the display.

[EDIT]  There are other complicating factors [such as color space] associated with how the files are saved that can contribute to colors not looking correct.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

diverhank
Authority

To echo Waddizzle's points...there are apparently differences in the colors and sharpness in your iphone and your computer monitor displays.  

This is the reason why  serious photographers (amateurs and pros) invest in a color calibrator which measures the colors of the monitor (in your case your laptop screen) and correct for it.  That way, when you adjust your pictures, what looks right to you is also the right picture (when you print and display on a correctly calibrated display). In my experience, the iphones colors match very well with a calibrated colors so it's most likely that your laptop colors are off.

I use a Datacolor spyder calibrator and am happy with it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you familiar with the concept of having a calibrated monitor? 

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

Having a calibrated monitor is crucial for reproducing the correct colors when printing.  The display on your iPhone should [NOT] be regarded as a calibrated display. 

The display on your computer may, or may not, be capbable of being precisely calibrated.  Some laptop displays have a narrow angle of view, which require that you view the monitor from only a certain angle, or sweet spot, to properly view the display.

[EDIT]  There are other complicating factors [such as color space] associated with how the files are saved that can contribute to colors not looking correct.

diverhank
Authority

To echo Waddizzle's points...there are apparently differences in the colors and sharpness in your iphone and your computer monitor displays.  

This is the reason why  serious photographers (amateurs and pros) invest in a color calibrator which measures the colors of the monitor (in your case your laptop screen) and correct for it.  That way, when you adjust your pictures, what looks right to you is also the right picture (when you print and display on a correctly calibrated display). In my experience, the iphones colors match very well with a calibrated colors so it's most likely that your laptop colors are off.

I use a Datacolor spyder calibrator and am happy with it.

mattfisher5
Contributor
Thanks guys,I will look into getting a color calibrator.

@mattfisher5 wrote:
Thanks guys,I will look into getting a color calibrator.

Oh I forgot to mention that if you have a picture or a display that you know has the correct colors, you can just eyeball it and manually adjust your laptop colors to match it.  Time consuming but workable.  I've used this method for several of my monitors until I gave in and bought a calibrator.  I still use this method for my big screen TVs with good success.

laptops introduce their own color calibration issues. Open a photo on your laptop and vary the tilt angle of your screen. You will see brightness and color change because the viewing angle changes. Consumer grade laptops are also the least able to be calibrated.

What laptop do you have? What else do you do with your images besides sharing them via iPhone? diverhank's suggestion is probably your best bet. Once you get it adjusted to how you like save that image on your desktop and then each time you use the computer adjust monitor tilt till thge image looks its best.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

laptops introduce their own color calibration issues. Open a photo on your laptop and vary the tilt angle of your screen. You will see brightness and color change because the viewing angle changes. Consumer grade laptops are also the least able to be calibrated.

What laptop do you have? What else do you do with your images besides sharing them via iPhone? diverhank's suggestion is probably your best bet. Once you get it adjusted to how you like save that image on your desktop and then each time you use the computer adjust monitor tilt till thge image looks its best.

John is talking about what I mentioned earlier....

"The display on your computer may, or may not, be capable of being precisely calibrated.  Some laptop displays have a narrow angle of view, which require that you view the monitor from only a certain angle, or sweet spot, to properly view the display."

Most laptop displays are incapable of being precisely calibrated because of viewing angle limitations.  When I use my laptop to process photos with Lightroom, I do not trust the display and what my eyes are showing me, not at all.  I rely on the known White Balance correction settings for color balance, and the Histogram displays for exposure [brightness] balance. 

Most of photography is for pure pleasure, not for profit.  Occasionally, I will take a White Balance reference shot.  If you plan on photographing a wedding, then I suggest that you invest in a white balance card, filter, or panel.  Be aware of how white balance can charge when you are working indoors with different types of light sources within the same room.

mattfisher5
Contributor
I have a Lenovo thinkpad. I'm not sure of the exact model though. 99% of my images are simply shared on social media, where they are generally being viewed on other iPhones likely. So generally I've been adjusting them to look good on my iPhone versus laptop. However there are a few images I'd like to make prints of. Additionally, a friend of mine on a budget has asked me to take pictures at their wedding next fall, so I've been doing everything I can to prepare and really dial in my images for that. I do think the issue is with my laptop though, because I've viewed my images on other iPhones and my work desktop and they all appear the same. My laptop is definitely the outlier here.

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35VlFz_7kg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If your iPhone is in "Night Shift" mode then it will noticeably yellow the display.  You can find this under "Settings" -> "Display & Brightness" on your iPhone.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements