cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE bring back eye-control AF!

kfreels
Apprentice

Sure. The old style eye control AF was limited in its capabilities and accuracy. But tech has come a long way now. I envision it working with the existing AF point select button. You press the button, look where you want and let off when it lands on the correct AF point. In servo it would track eye movement. The joystick, shutter wheel and QCD would all still work with it the same way and would have priority over any eye control inputs so it would never leave someone stuck with the wrong AF point selected. 

I can't imagine that Canon wouldn't be ready to deploy such a system with the current processors and with TV,s  phones, and computers on the verge of using eye control navigation. The previous one was just ahead of its time - just like the Apple Newton that flopped while the iphone redefined smartphone usage. 

Come on, Canon. Redefine AF!

6 REPLIES 6

Edward
Enthusiast

I agree, the Canon EOS3 was the best film camera ever with the almost the same specs as the EOS1 film camera with the advantage of the focus eye control and a smaller weight and size.  The current Canon 5DIII is the closest they have come to match the EOS3 in digital format. 

BrickR
Enthusiast

I gotta completely agree with you and go a step further and ask why isn't this already done!???

Point and shoot cameras can face detect, multiple faces even, why can't a DSLR focus on eyes (if the face is large enough in the frame obviously, other than that it should just detect and focus on the face).

It's a step backwards to not have that as an option in the menus. I'm sure it will come up as cameras are starting to be able to accepts apps. Someone will develop it.

rrblint
Apprentice

Couldn't agree more...Absolutely Canon, bring it on...The time is now!

Mark

kfreels
Apprentice

Just an FYI, Canon. There's a rumor floating that Sony will be releasing ECF on a camera soon. http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/18/rumor-sony-may-introduce-eye-tracking-autofocus-next-year/

Just wanted to give you guys at Canon a "heads up". The rumor of the ECF-equipped Sony camera that is posted above has gotten me seriously considering jumping ship from Canon to Sony. I have a 41 year association with Canon cameras, in fact every 35mm or digital camera(except phones) that I have ever owned has been Canon and I would hate to change now. I have been very pleased with this relationship and have always thought that Canon simply made the best "35mm-style" cameras in the world. I held this point of view even in the 1970s when Nikon was "king".

But you spoiled me with Eye Controlled Focus Point selection and I want it back badly enough to switch to Sony if and when their ECF-equipped camera arrives in the marketplace. I'm sure that you folks at Canon have long been aware of Sony's plans but it appears to me that you guys are willing to sit on your hands and allow them to take the lead with ECF, where you once held the corner on the market. I think that this is a mistake as once you get behind, you will probably never catch up.

There is much evidence that the time for Eye Control technology to explode is RIGHT NOW, rumors are appearing in every tech-oriented, digitally-controllable genre(as mentioned by kfreels above). Canon needs to get the ball rolling and get back it's leadership position in this arena. There is a group of us who are actively seeking a return of ECF and an introduction of the feature into the digital camera market. We have lots of support and I am not the only one who is considering switching to the ECF-equipped Sony Alpha if and when it arrives.

Mark

Here is a thread from the POTN fora that I like to call "The Official ECF Thread" as it happens to be the most up-to-date, publicly viewable, continuing thread covering ECF currently on the Internet:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1195887&page=31

You folks at Canon might find these last couple of pages of particular interest.

Mark
Announcements