cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectors Market for Old Canon Cameras

Jayne2
Apprentice

I'm hoping that you all can help me out.  Is there a collectors market out there for older Canons?  My neighbors husband just recently passed away and she asked me to see what she can domwith his AE~1 and one of the first Rebel digital camera.  They both have various lenses and waht not for them.  I would have taken them but I have my Dad's AE~1 and the old er Rebel, while it has several extra batteries for it, I probably wouldn't be able to find an SD card for it. Any input would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Unfortunately no.  I also own an AE-1.  There's a repeatable camera repair shop in my town (every professional uses him) and while there, I asked him what these sell for (this was at least 10 years ago ...probably more like 15) and he said "a buck and a quarter" ($125).  

He explained that the *only* people who buy them are college students who enroll in a photography class that still teaches film cameras and darkroom techniques.   Back in those days, there were a *few* colleges that did that... but these days I don't know of any colleges that still do this.

So these it's mostly a nostalgia thing ... but they don't sell for much.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The is a business TheFilmCameraShop on Etsy.

There is also an owner contact icon.

You could contact him and see if he is interested.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Jayne2
Apprentice
Thank you both for this info. Like I said, I have my dad’s AE-1 and her kids don’t want them. It’s kind of sad really but like most everyone, they have their phones. I may end up taking the Rebel and just try to find what I need for it online.

My AE-1 sits on the shelf.  It will not likely ever be used again, but I wont part with it.  

I grew up in a poor family,  If my parents spent $30 on a gift, that was a *lot* of money (and I knew it).  One year I opened my Christmas present (I was 13 ... but I loved photography and my parents knew it.) and it was a Canon AE-1.  I wept.

I knew the sacrifices my parents must have made to buy that for me.  This is why I will never part with that camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thats a great story Tim!!

I post my stuff on LetGo and craigslist.  Most items sell within a week or two.  

Older stuff is probably best for eBay or like John mentioned Etsy.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Old 35mm film cameras are like vinyl records. They are valuable to a niche that loves them but for the vast majority they are paper weights. And, the vast majority of people don't want them.

A few years ago I spent $200 bucks getting my old best friend, my F1n cleaned and lubricated.  Used it a few times but mainly it sits in a cabinet I built to honor and house some of my very favorite old gear. That's where it and all that other old gear belongs.

BTW, just think Canon made millions of AE1 Programs cameras.  There are still millions of them around.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I still have one each of the film cameras that I used back from the early 80's.   I don't use them to shoot with any more, but to me they represent a special period that really started back in the 1880's with a windable emulsion film that appeared in the Kodak Brownie and saw its heyday end at the turn of this century.  They represent a piece of history that I don't want to lose.  You kids will find them interesting when they grow up and are using whatever tech is normal then.

You have an early Canon EOS digital camera.  You don't identify the model, but you could get it going if it is not damaged and perhaps have it cleaned.  I still shoot with Canon cameras that date back to 2000 and they are still capable of taking great images and allowing you to practise photographic skills for minimal outlay.  Add some decent lenses - like the 18-135 STM and you can go and get a lot of value from it.  The early cameras used CF cards and transitioned to SD cards with the Rebel T1i (EOS 500D).  You can still get either card and a USB card reader for minimal outlay.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Jayne2
Apprentice
The Rebel is an EOS 3000 I think. I’ll have to look at my photo again. There is a card ready with the camera since he had many accessories with it. Both of these belonged to my neighbor’s husband who passed away. She doesn’t want to keep them, I really don’t have space to take them and already have my Dad’s AE 1.

Hello.
I have this Canon camera in my home) 

058bed46684dcc8d58b3904bb9f02bda.jpg

Respectfully yours, Milton. Sometimes I somethink write 😉 My life principle "Love never fails"
Announcements