cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer a rumor

John_SD
Whiz

The future is here. Nikon just debuted two full-frame mirrorless cameras -- the Z7, a 45.7 megapixel beast and the Z6, a 24.5 megapixel camera. Early reviewers are blown away, especially by the flagship Z7, which is scheduled for retail release this fall. I can only hope that Canon is able to offer serious competition when it debuts its mirroless offerings months later. 

For Canon, it seems that being late to the party is a big part of its DNA. Hope it can seriously compete in this realm, because the landscape just changed. See Engadget, Gizmodo, DPreview, The Verge, Techradar, etc., etc. 

22 REPLIES 22

RexGig
Enthusiast

I watched most of the live Nikon presentation. (I missed the first few minutes.) It was enough to make me feel comfortable being a DSLR shooter, for the foreseeable future. Neither I, nor my equipment, will become pumpkins at midnight. I remain comfortable buying DSLR cameras, and the lenses made for these DSLR cameras. Nikon DSLR shooters should feel relieved that Nikon is not orphaning the F-mount lenses. A very interesting F-mount 500mm f/5.6E lens was a major part of the presentation. 

I have also seen some thoughts posted by nature/wildlife photographer Steve Perry, by the DPR team, and by some of the other usual vloggers. A major concern seems to be AF, for active subjects. It seems doubtful that the Z7 can replace the D850, D5, D500, or even the D7500, for photography of highly-active subjects, such as birds, wildlife, and most sports. I am not saying the the Z7/Z6 are failures! I am saying that I agree with Steve Perry, and some other folks, that the Z7/Z6 lack the AF capability to be DSLR-beaters. See the DPR TV video, in particular, as they had the Z7 in-hand, for their comparison. 

I will add that I shoot Nikon D5 and D850 cameras, as well as Canon cameras as new as the 5D Mark IV. (I love lenses made by both, too much to leave either system.) Yes, the D5 and D850 have “better” AF than the 5D Mark IV, but in realistic conditions, including some fairly low light, as the sun set, my 5D IV, with the excellent EF 100-400L II IS, can keep up with one of our Nikkor AF-S 80-400G lenses, being used on new-generation Nikon DSLR camera. (My wife, who uses Nikon D500 and D850 cameras, is envious of my EF 100-400L II IS.) If the 5D IV can still run with Nikon’s best DSLRs, I am comfortable that the Z7/Z6 are not a threat to Canon DSLRs.

To be clear, yes, one could probably set-up an AF comparison test that my 5D IV would fail, but which my D5 or D850 would pass. I would rather not take a detailed detour down that bunny trail.

I owned a “grey” EOS M3, which I bought pre-owned, before Canon USA officially imported them. I mostly used it with the EF-to-EOS M adapter, and found it quite capable and like-able. (Unfortunately, it died due to submersion on flood water, last year.) I have yet to try any of the newer EOS-M cameras, but I believe Canon can build a competent up-sized M.

The EOS-M system ate the Nikon 1 system for breakfast. Nikon moved first, and about a year or so later, if I recall correctly, Canon launched its “answer.” Past history does not necessarily predict future performance, but, this bit of history does put things into perspective.

I am no expert. I do have a substantial herd of new cameras, but that was largely due to a one-time financial windfall earlier this year, following my retirement. My unused “comp time,” alone, paid for the D5.

Consider these to be scattered thoughts, from a fatigued brain. 

John_SD
Whiz

Right off the bat, Canon is releasing a LOT of glass to go with the new R. They are dead serious about their shift to full-frame mirrorless. This has well-exceeded my expectations. 

According to CanonRumors:

Canon announcements for September 5, 2018

• Canon EOS R body
  • Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM kit
  • Canon BG-E22
  • Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
  • Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
  • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM
    • The lens may have a different name, no confirmation yet.
  • M (or Mount) adapter R?
    • Since only “M.ADAP R” “M.ADAP R ND” “M.ADAP R PL” is written in the simple order form, the official name is unknown
  • PD – E1 is also included in the accessory list

@John_SD wrote:

Right off the bat, Canon is releasing a LOT of glass to go with the new R. They are dead serious about their shift to full-frame mirrorless. This has well-exceeded my expectations. 

According to CanonRumors:

Canon announcements for September 5, 2018

• Canon EOS R body
  • Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM kit
  • Canon BG-E22
  • Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
  • Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
  • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM
    • The lens may have a different name, no confirmation yet.
  • M (or Mount) adapter R?
    • Since only “M.ADAP R” “M.ADAP R ND” “M.ADAP R PL” is written in the simple order form, the official name is unknown
  • PD – E1 is also included in the accessory list

The one that jumps out at you is the 28-70mm f/2L. (No IS, though.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements