cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer a rumor

John_SD
Whiz

The future is here. Nikon just debuted two full-frame mirrorless cameras -- the Z7, a 45.7 megapixel beast and the Z6, a 24.5 megapixel camera. Early reviewers are blown away, especially by the flagship Z7, which is scheduled for retail release this fall. I can only hope that Canon is able to offer serious competition when it debuts its mirroless offerings months later. 

For Canon, it seems that being late to the party is a big part of its DNA. Hope it can seriously compete in this realm, because the landscape just changed. See Engadget, Gizmodo, DPreview, The Verge, Techradar, etc., etc. 

22 REPLIES 22

@shadowsports wrote:

Just visited Nikon"s website.  Took a look at the Z6 & 7.  Still no fully articuling screen.  Nikon is never going to get it right apparently.  Missed opportunity.  My opinion anyway.     

You are right, it is a tilt screen, but isn't fully articulating. I too would prefer the fully articulating screen. Low-level and ground- level shots would be much easier with the fully articulating screen. But the bigger issue I have is that the Z7 comes with only one card slot, and that is for XQD. For a flagship camera, the lack of 2 slots is going to turn some potential buyers away. I wish it would have come with one of each, like the D850. 

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

Just visited Nikon"s website.  Took a look at the Z6 & 7.  Still no fully articuling screen.  Nikon is never going to get it right apparently.  Missed opportunity.  My opinion anyway.     

You are right, it is a tilt screen, but isn't fully articulating. I too would prefer the fully articulating screen. Low-level and ground- level shots would be much easier with the fully articulating screen. But the bigger issue I have is that the Z7 comes with only one card slot, and that is for XQD. For a flagship camera, the lack of 2 slots is going to turn some potential buyers away. I wish it would have come with one of each, like the D850. 

Yes.  This was probably done for cost savings in manufacturing and to maintain a certain profit margin.  Maybe Canon will put out 3.  With the 3rd tier offering dual slots.  Come on Canon, mop the floor with them...  but I'm still not buying one. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

While a fully articulating screen is something that many will demand, I would not call this a "missed opportunity" by Nikon, based on the screen. The sites are being flooded with pre-orders that Nikon can't fill by the release date. They have already issued an "apology" to potential buyers and stated that due to the early response, they will be unable to deliver all of the Z7 and 500mm f/5.6 pre-orders coming in. 

dbhuff49
Contributor
I am a Canon lover since film in the mid 60's! Nikon and Canon will now have to keep up with Sony's Alpha A7R. IMHO, SLR was replaced by DSLR, the future will be mirrorless, no reflex (retractable mirror). When you look back at the last 50 yrs... what's in store in the next 50 yrs.

@dbhuff49 wrote:
I am a Canon lover since film in the mid 60's! Nikon and Canon will now have to keep up with Sony's Alpha A7R. IMHO, SLR was replaced by DSLR, the future will be mirrorless, no reflex (retractable mirror). When you look back at the last 50 yrs... what's in store in the next 50 yrs.

At this stage, the A7 is the leading mirrorless, by far. However, I don't care for Sony's weird GUI and menu system. I find Canon and Nikon's much more intuitive. So for me, I would go with one of those two. I look forward to Canon's full-frame offerings.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not interested an I am not a buyer in mirrorless.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mirrorless holds no interest for me at the moment.  If I was just starting out in photography or planning to switch brands then maybe.

A lighter and smaller body doesn't interest me at all because the current and recent past 1D bodies provide a nice feel and balance with the telephoto lenses I shoot with so much.  My daughter and some of her high school teammates coached their first series of games in a tournament yesterday and I shot with my 1DX M2 mostly with a 70-200 F2.8 plus 1.4X from 9 A.M. until 3:30 P.M. and the weight of that combo wasn't an issue.  The lens I use for night high school games does weigh more but a lighter body is likely to make the overall ergonomics of long periods of hand held shooting worse instead of better.

Further improvement in sensor noise performance is far more important to me than going mirrorless and with sustained shooting at 14 FPS from the current 1DX I don't need anything with a higher frame rate.  

When I first started coaching my daughter in soccer 12 years ago there were a lot of parents shooting from the sidelines with various flavors of Canon Rebels and a lesser number of similarly priced Nikon DSLR cameras.  Now the only thing I see at these youth games and also at high school games are parents using smart phones.  Going mirrorless isn't going to bring back the low and mid-end of the market because most people are perfectly happy with low fidelity audio and low fidelity photos from their "devices".

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

A lighter and smaller body doesn't interest me at all because the current and recent past 1D bodies provide a nice feel and balance with the telephoto lenses I shoot with so much.

Understood, but as I shoot often in our deserts and mountains, I am not interested in dragging a brick around with me in those environments all day. The full-frame mirrorless camers coming out now would appeal to someone like me, especially as I have not made the transition to full-frame yet. YMMV. 

wrote:

Understood, but as I shoot often in our deserts and mountains, I am not interested in dragging a brick around with me in those environments all day. The full-frame mirrorless camers coming out now would appeal to someone like me, especially as I have not made the transition to full-frame yet. YMMV. 

I can relate to your brick comment.  However, the high quality lenses can be heavy, too.  I have an M3 for when I want to “travel light”.  I pair it with the Canon EF-M 22 f/2 IS STM, the Rokinon 14mm T3.1, or the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM.  But, that is only for when I am urban settings, which are comparatively cleaner than deserts and mountains.

When I am in the woods I want gear that is better protected against dust and moisture than the M3.  I usually go with a 6D, with grip, and either a 70-200 or the 100-400.  Depending upon where and how far I am going, I may carry a second body with a lens.  

I carry the camera, with the big lens mounted, in a Lowepro Top Loader Holster, which has a sling mount, across your shoulder..  It allows me to have two free hands, and is excellent protection for my gear.  My model also has a waist band option, to prevent it from swinging.

How do you carry your gear when hiking the deserts and mountains?  I use different combinations of bags and straps, depending upon how long a hike I have, and what gear I want to carry.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

wrote:

I can relate to your brick comment.  However, the high quality lenses can be heavy, too.  I have an M3 for when I want to “travel light”.  I pair it with the Canon EF-M 22 f/2 IS STM, the Rokinon 14mm T3.1, or the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM.  But, that is only for when I am urban settings, which are comparatively cleaner than deserts and mountains.

When I am in the woods I want gear that is better protected against dust and moisture than the M3.  I usually go with a 6D, with grip, and either a 70-200 or the 100-400.  Depending upon where and how far I am going, I may carry a second body with a lens.  

I carry the camera, with the big lens mounted, in a Lowepro Top Loader Holster, which has a sling mount, across your shoulder..  It allows me to have two free hands, and is excellent protection for my gear.  My model also has a waist band option, to prevent it from swinging.

How do you carry your gear when hiking the deserts and mountains?  I use different combinations of bags and straps, depending upon how long a hike I have, and what gear I want to carry.  

I definitely need to upgrade the way I carry my camera. I use a camera strap with it, crossbody style. I typically use my 18-135mm STM lens, which isn't particularly big or heavy, and so I've gotten used to this arrangement. And to date, I have not noticed any dust or dirt issues. I do make a habit of cleaning the camera and lens thoroughly with a puff blower and lens cleaners every time I come in from the field. However, I will definitely upgrade when I move up to full-frame. I'll probably go with something like the BlackRapid Curve Breathe should I step up to one of the new full-frame mirrorless rigs.  

Announcements