cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer a rumor

John_SD
Whiz

The future is here. Nikon just debuted two full-frame mirrorless cameras -- the Z7, a 45.7 megapixel beast and the Z6, a 24.5 megapixel camera. Early reviewers are blown away, especially by the flagship Z7, which is scheduled for retail release this fall. I can only hope that Canon is able to offer serious competition when it debuts its mirroless offerings months later. 

For Canon, it seems that being late to the party is a big part of its DNA. Hope it can seriously compete in this realm, because the landscape just changed. See Engadget, Gizmodo, DPreview, The Verge, Techradar, etc., etc. 

22 REPLIES 22

At this point I'm just interested to learn whether either company can offer a battery capable of keeping up with the power requirements of a FF mirrorless camera. I fully believe that mirrorless is the wave of the future, even for professional use. But I need convincing that we're there yet. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

At this point I'm just interested to learn whether either company can offer a battery capable of keeping up with the power requirements of a FF mirrorless camera. I fully believe that mirrorless is the wave of the future, even for professional use. But I need convincing that we're there yet. 

The battery issue for mirrorless will take some time, but eventually Canon and Nikon will get there. These are generally engineering issues that get improved upon over time.And sooner rather than later, I hope.

I too think mirrorless is the future. That said, if I were an established pro or a guy with substantial money invested in traditional DSLRs and its glass, I would not consider making a move to mirrorless at this early stage, if ever. I don't think we're there yet. But for guys who haven't invested in full-frame at all, or who have minimal investment in it, I for one would be choosing mirrorless. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon has had the 5DS and 5DSr on the market from a couple of years now.  Nikon is just catching up when it comes to high resolution, IMHO. I notice that they have a new line of lenses, too, which is just more money to spend.  

What advantage does a mirrorless have over a DSLR, anyway?  You could make a more compact body, one not so thick to allow for the internal mirror to swing.  It could be smaller.  But, my big hands might find it awkward to hold.  I know my M3 is a little awkward to hold.  I cannot “grip” it like I want to.

A mirrorliess could be quieter to use.  It might also be capable of a faster frame rate, something which is limited by the focusing speed of your lens, anyway, not unless you want OOF photographs.

I would hope that a Canon mirrorless would be directly compatible with the EF mount, but I do not hold out hope for that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm with Bob.  Happy to embrace the technology, but am definitely not going to buy a first gen.  Im also not going to switch to Nikon, ever.  Its good, I've seen spectacular results with a D850, but I'm not jumping ship. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I'm with Bob.  Happy to embrace the technology, but am definitely not going to buy a first gen.  Im also not going to switch to Nikon, ever.  Its good, I've seen spectacular results with a D850, but I'm not jumping ship. 

The Z7 is said to be a direct mirrorless competitor to the D850. However, if I already had a D850, I would not likely be making the switch to the Z7. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

I would hope that a Canon mirrorless would be directly compatible with the EF mount, but I do not hold out hope for that.

To make it directly compatible would require maintaining the EF mount's greater distance between the lens and the sensor, whose sole purpose is to accommodate the mirror. I don't thinnk anyone thinks that's going to happen. And anyone who has fought to close even a giant Domke bag containing a 5D4 with a 70-200 on it is unlikely to want it to happen.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Waddizzle wrote:

Canon has had the 5DS and 5DSr on the market from a couple of years now.  Nikon is just catching up when it comes to high resolution, IMHO. I notice that they have a new line of lenses, too, which is just more money to spend.  

What advantage does a mirrorless have over a DSLR, anyway?  You could make a more compact body, one not so thick to allow for the internal mirror to swing.  It could be smaller.  But, my big hands might find it awkward to hold.  I know my M3 is a little awkward to hold.  I cannot “grip” it like I want to.

A mirrorliess could be quieter to use.  It might also be capable of a faster frame rate, something which is limited by the focusing speed of your lens, anyway, not unless you want OOF photographs.

Yes, Nikon is introducing a new line of lenses for the mirrorless, but they are also releasing an adapter for the F-mount to accomodate the guys who have a lot of existing Nikon glass. I expect Canon to do the same if need be. 

As for the grip of the smaller Z7, it is said to be chunky for its size, and I hope that begins a trend.

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yes, Nikon is introducing a new line of lenses for the mirrorless, but they are also releasing an adapter for the F-mount to accomodate the guys who have a lot of existing Nikon glass. I expect Canon to do the same if need be. 

As for the grip of the smaller Z7, it is said to be chunky for its size, and I hope that begins a trend.

I am aware of the Nikon adapter.  To me, it is a work around, which is not always a good thing.

Because of small tolerance differences in manufacturing, there is always a very small amount of play between a lens mount and a lens.  Some “L” lenses have a rubber ring to seal the lens mount, which helps stabilize the lens.  Any time you add something between the camera body and lens, like an adapter or extender, you only add to the tolerance variations.

This can affect how well a lens seems to focus.  I think tolerance variations in manufacturing is what makes some lenses front or back focus.  Canon makes very good extenders, which hold the big lenses firmly in place.  I 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just visited Nikon"s website.  Took a look at the Z6 & 7.  Still no fully articuling screen.  Nikon is never going to get it right apparently.  Missed opportunity.  My opinion anyway.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements