cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night focusing

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on night landscape photography.  What settings are best and how do I focus at night?  Do you just set the focus for infinity and hope for best?

17 REPLIES 17

Bob from Boston,

All I can say is great minds think alike, Robert.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

All I can say is great minds think alike, Robert.  Smiley Very Happy

That sounds right to me!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This was a 30 second exposure so the stars are slighly elongated and it does show up in the enlagement.  

Call it beginners luck but this really was my first attempt at a night shot, at a place I photograh a lot during the day.  It made me want to try doing a lot more night photograhy.  That is why I was asking for pointers.  I don't think I really need to go the full 30 seconds.  I finally just got my first cable release since the film days.  I had a remote trigger but the thing is too temperamental, so I ditched it.  I am liking the new one I just got.  I do a lot of winter photography and am pleased at how the night photography adds a whole new dimension to it.   I love it when I discover something new.  Smiley Happy Thanks for the tips.  I am going to keep on shooting. 

Someplace (and if I can find it, I'll post the link), I found an EXCELLENT tutorial that walked through how you can take the exposure that captures the stars seperate from the land and merge them together so you get fantastic balance.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank would be great.  Thanks!

Found it!

Here's the URL:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k5bRHegiXA

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks!  Yes my goal is to hone my photoshop skills more.  I just need to take the time to watch and learn from many of the resources that are available.  Easier said than done when it seems all I ever do is shoot, edit, and repeat.  

Reminder, layers are your friend in PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements