cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here.. 7d mark ii vs rebel t7i! Wildlife

b1gb2olo
Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place to post this! Recently bought a Canon rebel T7i... really into wildlife and birds!!! Was considering selling and buying a 7d ii 

Is this a wise decision? I know the 7d is older but has a faster fps

but will the lower MP cause an issue?

51 REPLIES 51

3.27.20-4.jpg

ISO 3200 

SS 1000

250mm f5.6

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG?  I think that is good capture.  Nice!  

05B3753D-F0A3-4C50-8E3C-C9C24FC9ABBF.jpeg

I took the liberty of adjusting exposure and leveling the horizon.  Do you shoot RAW, and then use Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to create JPEG files?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@b1gb2olo wrote:

Mainly birds currently! i posted some pictures from yesterday on my IG im not sure how to upload to a forum.

I was using a tripod yesterday.

always in manual mode, I was using smooth zone AF instead of single point which I normally use.

also on Servo ( for tracking if im correct)

metering mode also.

I would use just the center AF point, One Shot AF, Single Shot drive mode, for shooting from a tripod at a fixed subject, the bird feeder.  Use Evaluative Metering mode, which is the default setting.  This was not a bright sunny day, so do not expect the best results.  It is what it is, and I think you did a pretty good job of it considering the shooting conditions.

In fact, I would be inclined to switch to Live View, and then use the 10x magnify mode to manually adjust for the best focus.  Leave the lens in MF mode after you achieve critical focus.

Ive always used RAW.. I only use lightroom for editing and than export to dropbox

@b1gb2olo wrote:

Ive always used RAW.. I only use lightroom for editing and than export to dropbox

Oh, yeah.  One last tip until you get back to us.  If you are shooting stills from a tripod with the camera in a fixed position, then it is advisable to turn of the IS in the lens.  If the camera/lens combo is not panning on th tripod, then Canon recommends that you turn off the IS. 

Some combinations of high end lenses and camera bodies can actually sense when the camera seems to be mounted on a tripod, and will disable the lens IS automatically.  Your gear is not able to do that.

Awesome Thank you for that!!

Im going to stick with the t7i until atleast the come out with a newer 7d

I think my best bet though is a better mm lense 

im stuck between sigma 150-600 (C)

and cannon 100-400 i since the ii is pretty pricey

My IG is bg.gartland i posted a few other shots yesterday i wouldnt mind feedback on!!

I cant upload to here since the files are too big!

@b1gb2olo wrote:

Im going to stick with the t7i until atleast the come out with a newer 7d

I think my best bet though is a better mm lense 

im stuck between sigma 150-600 (C)

and cannon 100-400 i since the ii is pretty pricey

Given that choice, I would pick the Sigma 150-600 "C".  There is no substitute for focal length when it comes to wildlife photography.  Avoid buying a used one, if you can.  Be sure to get a Sigma Dock, too.  When I bought mine, I realized that I needed a much beefier tripod [head].

The original EF 100-400mm is reportedly nowhere near as good as the Mark II.  I would be disinclined to buy a used one.  BTW, avoid buying used gear on Amazon or eBay if you are not familiar with the seller.  Those sites are great for buying a bread machine, but you are rolling the dice buying used big ticket items like camera gear.

b1gb2olo
Contributor
Thank you so much for the advice. I think I’ll go with the Sigma. I was going to use eBay since I’m on a budget but I’m going to wait until after this virus. What does the charging dock do? I did see that online
Announcements