cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here.. 7d mark ii vs rebel t7i! Wildlife

b1gb2olo
Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place to post this! Recently bought a Canon rebel T7i... really into wildlife and birds!!! Was considering selling and buying a 7d ii 

Is this a wise decision? I know the 7d is older but has a faster fps

but will the lower MP cause an issue?

51 REPLIES 51

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is wrong with the T7i? Why aren't you satisfied with it? Frame rate is not too critical for wildlife.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The EOS 7D line is at the very top of Canon's APS-C sensor line.  So you'd gain quite a jump in features, build-quality, etc. if moving from the Rebel to the 7D.

Regarding megapixels, note that the 7D II's 20 MP sensor has enough pixels to generate a 12 x 18 inch print at 300 dpi.   Only you can answer is that is sufficient for the work you'll be doing.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

b1gb2olo
Contributor
Hmmm doesn’t seem to crisp with movement. I thought the 10fps would be more crisp. Maybe I should look at a better lense for my T7i ? Mine is a kit lense 55-250mm

I just keep seeing a lot about the 7d ii.
Wasn’t sure if is was better. Currently found one on eBay 500$ current bid

Higher fps won't lead to images that lack motion blur.  You'll need to use faster shutter speeds for that.

There are indeed lenses that will also increase sharpness and provide faster auto-focus.

--
Ricky

@b1gb2olo wrote:
Hmmm doesn’t seem to crisp with movement. I thought the 10fps would be more crisp. Maybe I should look at a better lense for my T7i ? Mine is a kit lense 55-250mm

I just keep seeing a lot about the 7d ii.
Wasn’t sure if is was better. Currently found one on eBay 500$ current bid

The 7D2 was first introduced several years ago.  As good as it is, much of it's advanced technology has trickled down to camera bodies like the T7i.  I would not recommend switching to a 7D2.

Your images will never be better than your lenses.  While the 55-250mm kit lens is not the greatest lens in the Canon lineup, I do not think it is the primary factor limiting the quality of your photos.  You, the inexperienced photographer, are the most likely cause.

When shooting most types of action photography, which includes most wildlife photography , you will usually want a high shutter speed, like 1/1600 or faster.  You need a fast shutter even if the critter seems to be motionless, or at rest.

If you shooting at 250mm, then you should be aware of the " 1 / FL " rule.  This says that you minimum shutter speed needs to be one over the focal length, which would imply a 1/250 shutter speed.  However, you must account for crop factor with your ASPS-C sensor camera body.  In this case I recommend one over twice the focal length, which would suggest a 1/500 shutter speed.  

Observe that the rule of thumb predicts a MINIMUM shutter speed.  In practice, you will want to be at least twice that recommended minimum.  

Setting the camera to use those types of shutter speeds is an entirely new can of worms.  There are various ways to do it, depending upon your selected shooting mode.  Realizing those fast shutter speeds begins with switching the camera out of Green [A] automatic mode, and using one of the creative modes: P, Tv, Av, or M.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Every time I raise my shutter to a good speed. The iso needs raised so so high and I get too much noise. 

what lens would you guys recommend ? Can that help with some quality?!

Your lens has a widest aperture of f/4, but near/at the tele-end, it will be f/5.6.  If you can get a lens with an aperture of f/2.8, that would give you at least 1 stop, but up to 2 stops over what you have.   So if you're shooting at say ISO 6400, you could then drop that to 3200 or even 1600.

Are you using a tripod?  Perhaps the motion blur in your images is due to camera movement and not just subject movement?

Also, look at lenses with IS (image stabilization) especially if doing hand-held shots.  Note that motion blur in your images are still possible (subject moving), but this would help with any camera shake.

--
Ricky

@b1gb2olo wrote:

Every time I raise my shutter to a good speed. The iso needs raised so so high and I get too much noise. 

what lens would you guys recommend ? Can that help with some quality?!

I recommend lots of practice.  First, tell us more about the type of wildlife you are shooting.  What camera shooting mode, AF mode, and drive mode, are you using?  

Can you post a sample photo and tell us what the SS, ISO, Aperture, and focal length were?  Do you shoot RAW or JPG?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mainly birds currently! i posted some pictures from yesterday on my IG im not sure how to upload to a forum.

I was using a tripod yesterday.

always in manual mode, I was using smooth zone AF instead of single point which I normally use.

also on Servo ( for tracking if im correct)

metering mode also.

Announcements