cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New equipment priority

bmcknc
Contributor

I am needing to shoot some indoor sporting events (swimming) over the next few months and am looking for some opinions on purchasing new equipment. I currently have a 1D Mark II body and the main lens I would shoot the swim meets with would be a L series 135mm f2 with and without a 1.4 converter. This is short course swimming so the swimmers are swimming 25 yard laps (not a significant distance to cover).

I am looking at picking up a 7D Mark II and a 70-200 2.8 zoom, but cannot purchase both at the same time. Would I be better off to pick up the 7D MK II body first and use the 135 or pick up the 70-200 for use on the 1D Mark II? I also have a L series 300mm f4, but am not sure how much use this would be under the lighting conditions I will be faced with.

I could be looking at several months between the purchases, and just want to get the maximum improvement in shooting experience with the first purchase.

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

"... I think I the difference may be more marginal ..."

Are you in for a surprise!  But you are right "marginal" isn't the right word. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Although I haven't had time to really run my 7D2 through it's paces re fast moving targets I'm very impressed by the few test shots I've taken including one last night using the built in flash, 100-400 L IS (ver 1) in very poor light. Focus locked on & the flower detail is amazing. I'll have to compare some similar shots between the 7D2 & 1D4 to see how close the images are but for now I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I hope you are right ebiggs1! A big surprise on the upside regarding the 7dII vs.1dII daylight image quality will be very welcome. I have certainly seen this already in low light high ISO, no complaints there. Still, every time I load a raw image shot in daylight with the 1dII into Lightroom, I'm amazed at how little needs to be done.

"I later acquired a pair of 1D Mark II N bodies, one generation newer than the 1D Mark II, ..."

It isn't actually a generation newer.  This updated 1 series 'N' has only a moderate range of updates. The EOS-1D Mark II N has the same 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor, the same DIGIC II processor the same 8.5 fps shooting speed. The primary changes are a new 2.5" wide viewing angle LCD monitor, improved buffer and the ability to write different formats to either SD and CF cards.  The 1D Mk III is the next "generation" 1 series.

I still own one and still use it occasionally.   It is a serverly out dated camera that uses Firewire!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements