cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Photographer!!

becbec
Apprentice

HI, I'm a new photographer and loving every second of my investment in this hobby. I get so many people wanting me to take family pictures for them. "I have told them one day let me learn a little more".  So my question is what are my equipment needs for starting a photography business. I have a T3i with  a 18-55mm, 50mm, and a 55-250mm lenses. 

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority
A for-profit business?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

cicopo
Elite

Thanks to digital the business & hobby has changed & a lot of people think they can earn money by charging for their photos, especially by doing weddings since that's the one market we know is looking for ways to save money. It's also the most demanding market & you only get 1 chance to get it right, PLUS you'd better know Photoshop inside & out, & have a thorough understanding of the rules of exposures, DOF, & lighting etc. You'll need better lenses, a back up camera & some other photography equipment but you'll also need a good computer & calibrated photo grade monitor & either a very good printing service or your own high quality in home printer. If you're even remotely serious I'd take a photography course (night school or full time) PLUS devote lots of time to Internet forum research on your chosen interests; AND I wouldn't quit my day job. 

If on the other hand you just want to shoot some stuff for friends & family for a modest fee you'll still need a thorough understanding og DOF & shutter speeds, & apertures PLUS post processing & printing. I'd also recommend a back up camera & better lenses to start with. Things can look pretty good on a computer screen but that doesn't mean they will look GREAT when printed. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

My recommendation would be to slow down, learn the art, and reassess in a year or two.  The industry is flooded with aspiring photographers full of ambition, and there’s no shortage of those without any experience or skill.   Learn how to use your camera and lenses, don’t upgrade until you see a gap in your tools (not because a new piece of equipment is going to ‘make me better’), and take all the photos of family and friends you can – for free.  If you still have the drive to go pro, once you know what you’re doing, then have at it…  by then you won’t need to ask on a forum what you should buy.

Announcements