cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need camera suggestions for macro (text) in dark

AnthonyD
Contributor

I need a camera that can take decent close-up pictures, specifically of small text on labels, or books etc.. The camera should have stabilization and good low-light imaging so I don't need to deal with flash glare. The last camera I tried (PowerShot G9 X) performed terribly by focusing only on certain parts of the shot, leaving the rest very blurry. I already started another thread about this issue, and the replies are generally saying the G9X is supposed to do that and the work-arounds are complex.

I need a simple point and shoot. My A2500 did well for macro shots, except it lacks stibilizing, and isn't so great in low light. Any suggestions? Please see the comparrison below:

compare.JPG

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy a good tripod with a horizontal arm, so that you can position the head over a table, and use your old camera.  When you use a tripod, low light becomes a moot point.  You can set the exposure for as long as you want and use ISO 100.

Sometimes photographs are not what you might think they are.

IMG_7598.jpg

The above shot is comprised of 40 separate shots, which were combined into a single shot using stacking software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do have, and use a tripod, but if Im reaching inside a computer case to photograph a part label at some difficult angle a tripod is no help.

Small cameras with small image sensors take great Macro shots. When you start getting into bigger cameras with bigger image sensors, you will need more specialized equipment and good technique to get good Macro shots.

I would suggest going back to your A2500 but using some type of "Magic Arm to position the camera where you want it. 

They are available on eBay, Amazon, or your local camera store. 

001.jpg 

Mike Sowsun

@AnthonyD wrote:

I do have, and use a tripod, but if Im reaching inside a computer case to photograph a part label at some difficult angle a tripod is no help.

Your sample photo showed the subject laying on a flat floor.  Whatever the case may be.  It makes little difference.

Use an arm.  It does not have to an articulating arm, but one would be an immense help.  You need a fairly robust tripod when using an arm, so tha **bleep** does not tip over and smash your camera.. 

You  may want to look at focusing rails.  Check out "Dot Line Focusing Platform".  What really helps is being able to tether the shot, and manually focusing the lens.

Can you please advise what the output will be for your images?  For example small images to put on a web page, small prints, big prints, blow-up for display on a data show or big monitor...

Option 1: The output makes a difference to what I am going to suggest.  I used to take images of the serial numbers of computer components in situ and published them in small size for documentation purposes and training. I found the easiest thing to use (in part because it is so small) was a decent smart phone.  These days they can do amazing things and some are attuned to macro work.  There is a lot of software out there to improve your image in PP.

Option 2: If you decide to stick with a camera i would support the advice for a tripod so that you can photograph in Av mode, using a smaller aperture of say f11, an ISO of perhaps 200 and let the shutter speed take care of itself.

Option 3: The EOS M series of cameras has a macro lens with built-in ring light that, unlike a flash allows you to change the intensity of light overall or to favour one side - see EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM

This will give you a nice even light over the subject and improve you exposure options dramatically  You don't have to buy the latest M series body - I still use the original EF-M for macro work and it does just fine - you will pick one up second hand very cheaply.  You can use them on Program, Auto, Av or Manual, and you can set them to Macro mode for close-up work.  The lens can be auto or manually focused and the ring light on the lense works on TTL metering.

see also more information at: DPReview.com on this lens

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can also buy a tripod with a reversing center column, but using it requires a bigger footprint.

IMG_2520.PDN.png

Announcements