cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Geographic Photography Seminars

Has anyone here been to a National Geographic Photography Seminar? My wife got an ad for one in a city not too far away, and is interested in having us attend. I'm game to do it, but I'd like to be convinced that it's worth the time and money. It isn't cheap - nearly $200 per person for the day, and we'd have to drive 150 miles each way and stay two nights in a hotel. OTOH, it's an excuse to take a long weekend and do some shooting at scenic sites along the way. The two instructors are National Geo photographers I've never heard of, but their bios sound impressive. And Lord knows, neither of us is a good enough photographer that we don't need to hear from an expert now and then.

So I'd appreciate any advice pro or con - especially if it's based on actual experience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bob from Boston,

I attended some of them way, way back but have not been to a recent one.  They used to come to Hallmark from time to time along with other top photgraphy magazines.

Some were good, some were not but I can't decide for you.  It really depends on the speaker.  Some are full of themselves and not worth a dime.  I am good you are not so just listen.  Some are very helpful and worth every minute you can spend with them.

They should bring some equipment and lots of photos.  How to's and the like.

If you never been you should probably go.  If you use photography in your job, like me, it might be deductable as a business expense, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

I attended some of them way, way back but have not been to a recent one.  They used to come to Hallmark from time to time along with other top photgraphy magazines.

Some were good, some were not but I can't decide for you.  It really depends on the speaker.  Some are full of themselves and not worth a dime.  I am good you are not so just listen.  Some are very helpful and worth every minute you can spend with them.

They should bring some equipment and lots of photos.  How to's and the like.

If you never been you should probably go.  If you use photography in your job, like me, it might be deductable as a business expense, too.

Thanks, Ernie; that's helpful. And you make a good point about the deductibility. I do use photography in my job (though not as much as I'd like, alas), so maybe I can get a few $$ back from the IRS.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements