cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirrorless and card slots

vishalgomes
Apprentice

Hey everyone! I just held the EOS R in my hands today. Really cool camera, but this and the Nikon FF have been getting a lot of criticism for only having 1 SD slot. Part of me wonders why Canon and Nikon wouldn't put a micro SD card slot on their FF mirrorless for a backup along with the SD card slot. Does anyone have a speculation? I know the speeds of the micro SD cards isn't quite as good as SD, and possible implementation could be tough with space and/or having to possibly develop a card slot. But wouldn't this be a nice compromise since it would assumingely, a) take up less space on the camera (compared to 2) and b) provide redundancy. Since I am not a "pro" shooter, I don't know the preferences when it comes to cards, as I'm sure the pros probably prefer identical cards, but the 5DIV has mixed media slots (CF & SD). So, I'm interested to hear some thoughts!

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welome to the community! Smiley Very Happy

Regarding your question.... I personally don't regard either of the mirrorless camera offerings from Nikon or Canon as full professional ones - perhaps the higher resolution Nikon would have the edge in that respect.  I would consider the Canon unit the equivalent of the 6D (more of a an enthusiast) series rather than the pro D1 or D5 series of bodies.  Like many others I am waiting for the next iteration of the MILC bodies to be revealed.

There has been a lot of hand wringing about having only one card slot, and I am frankly not sure how many pros would not buy a body unless it had two.  When I go on an important photo shoot I take two bodies - more than one thing can go wrong on the day.

Still, that's just my take and I am sure there will be other opinions expressed! Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

RexGig
Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum!

A memory card is one potential point of failure. A memory card slot is one potential point of failure, but the camera has other potential points of failure, which could result in nothing being written to any memory card. There is no true substitute for a second camera, in a professional’s bag/case.

I know that some wedding/event photographers employ a “second shooter,” who can get shots that the primary photographer misses, for whatever reason.

I do not claim to have been a “professional photographer,” but did photograph crime scenes, crime victims, and evidence, from 2010 to early 2018, as part of my duties as a public servant, so a professional level of diligence seemed important. When trying to decide between the Nikon D300s and Canon 7D, in 2010, the second card slot was a factor, but I already had an EF 100/2.8L Macro IS, and a 40D, so staying within the Canon system made sense. The 40D became the second camera, and then I added a second 7D.

In 2014, I upgraded to a pair of 7D Mark II cameras, and took advantage of the second card slot, but I would sometimes re-shoot with the second camera, to be extra-sure, if anything gave me an uneasy feeling.

i have never actually lost an image, due to a faulty memory card.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Just use a wifi card that supports raw files. Then you will still have the pictures even if your camera gets stolen.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@vishalgomes wrote:

Hey everyone! I just held the EOS R in my hands today. Really cool camera, but this and the Nikon FF have been getting a lot of criticism for only having 1 SD slot. Part of me wonders why Canon and Nikon wouldn't put a micro SD card slot on their FF mirrorless for a backup along with the SD card slot.

I would think not including a microSD card slot should be self explanatory.  DSLRs are not currently compatible with the microSD cards, because they are unreliable when used with an adapter.  People use them anyway, though, and have problems with them, too.

I think your question should be why they did not add a second SD slot.  To that, I have no explanation, except to blame Marketing.  Obviously, they have other models planned, probably models worthy of being called flagship.  Marketing probably did not want to include a second slot.  They want to reserve some advanced features for the top of the line models.

Personally, I see no reason not to include a second slot in Nikon’s higher priced model.  Canon only released one model, so my jury is still out on them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements