cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Cards

ManKan
Apprentice

SD, SDHC, SDXC cards are fragile and too small to handle easily. I wish Canon would create an option to use either one of these cards or the Compact Flash (my preference) in the newer Semi-Pro cameras like the SL1.  I also don't like having to carry around more than one kind of memory card when I am shooting.   Splat!   That was the sound of me spitting in the wind. 

15 REPLIES 15

I just go with a Class 10 SDHC card/cards and be done with it.  They should give you all the speed you need.

I finally found a use for the SD cards.  Instead of carrying a device such as a Hyper Drive to make back-ups of the compacts, I use SD cards.  I shoot with the 5DIII or the 7DII with the Compact Card only.  When this card gets full, I then copy it to an SD within the camera.  That way I have 2 copies; I carry enough cards so I do not have to erase them and use them again. No worries about hard drives failures or battery recharging.

@Edward wrote:

I finally found a use for the SD cards.  Instead of carrying a device such as a Hyper Drive to make back-ups of the compacts, I use SD cards.  I shoot with the 5DIII or the 7DII with the Compact Card only.  When this card gets full, I then copy it to an SD within the camera.  That way I have 2 copies; I carry enough cards so I do not have to erase them and use them again. No worries about hard drives failures or battery recharging.

This is a really old thread... but you can configure a 5D III to save a copy of each image to both cards simultaneously so no need to do the manual copy if have a safe backup is what you're after.

I prefer to use my CF cards (because they're faster) but when I travel, my laptop and iPad can only read SD cards (no CF card slot).  So when I travel I'll often tell the camera to save to the SD slot instead of the CF slot.  If I forget to change card slots before shooting, I'll use the in-camera copy function to transfer the images.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Post may be old but someone may learn something new to them.  If you load the images to both cards simultaneously the buffer slows down and the performance of the camera speed reduced.

Yes. I also like using sd card. It is conveninet to use.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  the newer Semi-Pro cameras like the SL1."   Smiley Surprised

Not hardly in any sense of the word.  This is a consumer camera and as such it has consumer features.  These folks want convience and portability.  Plus the SD card line is way more affordable than the CF line.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements