cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Megapixel gap running 2 bodies

KennyRay
Contributor

Hey folks! Of you that are running 2 bodies on a project, are you shooting 2 different megapixel boxes? If so, what are the advantages/pitfalls?  For example, using the higher res exclusively for longer lenses for possible cropping but less MP for shorter and wide angle....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"F/8 and be there...."
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't think there is a single answer to this because it is so dependent upon what you are trying to accomplish.

Most of my photography is sports related and normally I shoot with both a 1DX and 1DX 2 with different lens setups for close and distant action but these two cameras have very similar sensor size/resolution.  But tonight I am going to throw a third camera in the mix briefly for basketball just to try something different and will shoot a few using a 5DS R with a 24-70 F2.8 lens for some different shot angles to see if I like the results. 

Possible benefits will be either the ability to crop more aggressively or to have more detail in a wide angle view with multiple players and if the results are at all compelling I will try it again to give the 5DS R a fair chance after I get used to it.  Right now it feels like a toy with a 24-70 2.8 lens mounted since I usually have a 200 F2 or 300 F2.8 on the 1DX 2 and a 70-200 F2.8 on the 1DX 🙂

If you aren't doing fast action photography, then I would use your "normal" size sensor camera and fill the sensor area to the extent that the layout of the scene allows.  If you need detailed large prints, then the higher MP camera comes into its own but it also creates big file sizes.  My 1DX 2 RAW files average 24-26 Mb in size while the test shots I did this morning with the 5DS R range from 62 to 75 Mb and even with a fast workstation the change in processing speed is noticeable when working with those big files.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... are you shooting 2 different megapixel boxes?"

Yes almost every single time. I do have a preference of which lens I use on certain bodies. It is because of sensor size thgouh and not MP count.  Megapixels are another greatly misunderstood camera spec. If I compared my 1Ds Mk III to my 1DX the MP would hardly be noticeable.  

How you intend on using your work is far more important than MP count.  If it is a FB u/l any darn camera will do just fine.  Even a smartphone!  If it is a nice 11x14" art photo of a bride, yeah, I am going to want my best camera.

Another point is newer tech, meaning newer sensors, is going to trump more MP from older cameras.  Every time! The bottom line is not just how many MP do I have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Ernie,

Criticism is welcome and I agree completely with your assessment, thank you! 

I have done several group shots with the combined soccer teams and several football teams but I always had room to set up.however that gym was a nightmare. It was during the break between JV and varsity and it seemed like everyone and their small children were determined to walk in front, behind, and through the photographer while rushing to concessions and restrooms and some of the "adults" were trying to text and walk so I was not a happy camper getting bumped around while trying to set up the shot. 

I am 6'2" and weigh 195 even when I am not wearing a couple of EOS 1DX bodies with "great white" lenses so I am definitely not invisible!  One of the football guys who also plays basketball told me he was about ready to go into his lineman mode and take out a few spectators 🙂

I am much happier doing sports action shots and even awards banquet stuff but there are times when group shots are part of the "menu" and I have to develop a better attitude about it.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Know the feeling! 

I am 6'3" and 235 and perhaps I can yell louder than you and am not shy. Smiley Very Happy

BTW, you didn't have a dozen Moms with cell phones also trying get the same shot as you at exactly the same moment? Oh, and with their flashes set to Nova?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for reminding me of the cellphones, I almost forgot that part 🙂

It could be worse however.  Last year I saw a TV cameraman get thrown up on by a little kid one of the moms was carrying while she was hanging over his shoulder with her cellphone camera.  I am sure the station had to scrub the audio if they used that clip because I am sure that the cameraman was saying somethin other than Merry Christmas 🙂

Rodger

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements