cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for camerA

deeboy249
Apprentice

My wife and I are going on vacation in Spain and she is wanting a good digital camera that is not too difficult to use. She is a beginning photographer - maybe a little experience - any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The first question is what is your budget?  Don't forget to allow something extra for some accessories like a bag, memory card, etc.  Many retailers sell cameras with "free accessories", such as bags and memory cards.

Digital cameras fall in a couple of different categories.  The most significant variation is the size of the image sensor.  Generally, the larger the sensor, the better the images, and the higher the cost.  Bigger buckets collect more rainwater, and bigger sensors collect more light.

Point and shoot cameras are probably the easiest to use, just as the nickname suggests.  They come in range of pricing and performance.  They lack interchangeable lenses..  Because of their construction they are difficult to repair, and it is next to impossible to clean the image sensor on almost all of them, regardless of manufacturer. 

Mirrorless cameras cost as much as premium point and shoot cameras.  They tend to have larger sensors than point and shoot cameras.  They have interchangeable lenses.  It is possible to perform general maintenance, such as cleaning dusty image sensors.  Generally, they can be repaired, but some are constructed like a Gordian Knot.  Mirrorless camera technology is catching up to the quality from entry level DSLR camera kits.  Some mirrorless cameras even use the same size image sensors found in DSLRs

DSLR cameras are high performance cameras, which are favored by photo enthusiasts and professionals alike.  The cost of a budget, entry level camera kits [camera and lens] rival the pricing of mirrorless cameras.  Professional camera models can cost into the thousands of dollars.  Image quality is definitely a cut above the best point and shoot cameras.    The image sensors used in entry level DSLRs are typically twice as large as point and shoot cameras.  Professional DSLRs use image sensors that are twice the size of entry level DSLR cameras.

[EDIT]  Mirrorless cameras and most DSLRs, except for professional models, feature a "point and shoot" mode of operation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"She is a beginning photographer - maybe a little experience - any ideas?"

Yes I do !   Have her look at a Rebel T6i with the kit lenses.  It is great for a beginner and is well able to follow the advanced enthusiast.

Check out the Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera and 18-135mm and 55-250mm Lenses Kit.   A fantastic lens to consider, and probably the best, is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

This is serious gear and can be used by a beginner and as she learns, go as far as she wants to take it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

deeboy249
Apprentice
What about a Rebel T5 18MP DSLR w/18-55 & 75-300 mm usm lense.....for 449.00? Is that a good buy and is that a good camera for her?

The 75-300 is not very good - the 70-300IS is better.

"What about a Rebel T5 18MP DSLR ..."

All Rebels are nearly the same camera.   They just have different features.  The advantage of the T6 or T6i is it is the current top of the Rebel line.  If the T5 has the features you think is what you want, it is fine.

The lens is where the pictures are made. The "18-55 & 75-300 mm usm lense" lens might be a good buy but they are not the best quality.  The ones I mentioned above are much better.  But of course they are more expensive.  Ain't it always that way?

Don't get me wrong here, it depends on what you are comparing them to.  If it is the T5 and kit lenses vs your cell phone, the Rebel T5 wins hands down.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The T6's now have slightly better resolution. Canon is finally retiring that work-horse 18MP sensor.

@deeboy249 wrote:
What about a Rebel T5 18MP DSLR w/18-55 & 75-300 mm usm lense.....for 449.00? Is that a good buy and is that a good camera for her?

For that budget, I'd advise going for the Rebel SL1 camera kit with an 18-55mm lens..  The SL1 comes with a better 18-55 lens.  It's quieter and sharper. The SL1 kit has been selling at prices comparable to a T5 kit lately.

The 75-300mm that comes with a T5 is a lens for those who have never used a DSLR before.  It's a big shiny object.  The 75-300mm will teach everything you'd ever want to know about "not a good lens".  Besides, the combination of 18-55mm and 75-300mm leaves you a big hole between the highly useful range of 55-75mm, which is roughly portrait focal length. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements