cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new camera body 2K budget

DanielTylerFL
Contributor
My budget is approx 2,000.00 USD for a new camera body. I’m in search for a camera for kids sports, wildlife and some portraits. What camera has a quicker focus and higher MP than my canon T3i. I love the photos I’ve been taking but i want to find a camera body that I can upgrade to. I’ve been learning more about the 5D Mark IV. What are your thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

DanielTylerFL
Contributor
I think I’ll be looking at the 90D come the holidays!! I’ll keep shooting with the T3i until I can score a great deal with the 90D. I appreciate everyone’s input, thank you! Y’all have been so helpful.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Some extra info to hopefully help you with your journey.

When I started out with DSLRs, I had a T4i with an 18-135 EF-S kit lens.   After shooting for about a year, I did an exercise where I created a sort of histogram of all images in terms of their focal lengths  (accounting for their 35mm equivalent).  This led to a whopping 90% of the images being very close to 50mm.  My favorite images also had an obvious similarity: very shallow DOF.

So at the point of upgrading, I moved to an EOS 6D with a single 50mm f/1.2 L lens.   But the 6D ultimately lacked two key features I wanted; dual card slots and more focus points.   So saved up some money and now am using a 5D IV.  And about a year ago, finally added a second lens; a 135mm f/2 L.

In summary, maybe take a stronger look at just what images you are creating, but really also look at your favorites.  Do they tend to have similar focal lengths?  Would a full-frame camera help you reach your vision more?  Are there certain features that will help you?  This should help you see if more of your budget needs to go to lenses.

Side note: I don't shoot professionally, so none of my decisions were based on any client work requirements.   If you plan to do a side business, you may also want to consider how such work may influence your decisions.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

RS-EOS offered good advice.  Also consider any changes you may make to your photographic activities.  Are you, for example, contemplating a lot of travel? Or perhaps going into some other kind of photography that is distinctly different from your previous or current activities?

These are all good things to consider.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements