cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new camera body 2K budget

DanielTylerFL
Contributor
My budget is approx 2,000.00 USD for a new camera body. I’m in search for a camera for kids sports, wildlife and some portraits. What camera has a quicker focus and higher MP than my canon T3i. I love the photos I’ve been taking but i want to find a camera body that I can upgrade to. I’ve been learning more about the 5D Mark IV. What are your thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

@DanielTylerFL wrote:

Thanks so much for the knowledge.  Really, I had this kit setup in a box in storage in the house for awhile, and just have started doing some exploring with the T3i.  I figured the same...work with this to imporve my shots then find a deal when they come out for the 90D.  I'll keep all that in mind when I do decide to upgrade...I just don't want to get really good at photography and sacriface quality in a better body in that time.  I have no problem spending more for a body if it's really going to up my game, but I suppose whats the next tier up from the 90D?  say 2-4k?

-------------------------------------

I suppose so!  I really have no idea about camera bodies seeing that I'm brand new to photography.  I really don't mind spending the money as I would love to do this professionally one day.  I will definitely look into the 5D3 or 4 --- what are the main differences?

I'm just looking for the next tier of camera to suit my needs.  I dont mind even spending up to 3-4K on a camera....or should I stick with a cheaper camera and spend the extra money in glass?  My gut tells me to spend less on the camera and more in the glass...

Well that puts things in perspective.  I think the best advice is to do nothing.  Do not buy a new body at this time.  I think it would be best to learn how to use your T3i, and learn about photography, in general.  Discover why people are making the recommendations that they are, so that you can evaluate the advice for yourself.

Take a look at this recent thread that I created.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

Take a look at the links to the CanonUSA YouTube channel in the first two posts.  They are links to two excellent series of video tutorials that teach you the basics of photography, camera bodies, and lenses.  The EOS 101 series in the first link is very good.

Do a web search for articles and videos about two topics, "Exposure Triangle" and "Depth of Field".  Another good topic to research is "The Rule of Thirds".  Those topics just scratch the surface of the basics of photography.

Next, take your T3i out for test drive and photograph things as you take what you have learned and put it into practice.  Outdoor shooting will give you better results than indoor shooting, because of the strong light source called the Sun. 

What do you photograph?  Anything that gets your attention.  When I do not know what to do, I will spend a weekend shooting just as single shape, or color.  For example, I would go out shoot nothing but round stuff, or square stuff.  I have spent a weekend shooting just subjects that are all red, green, or blue. Shoot as many photos as you can of JUST the one topic.   My favorite subject is "stone stuff".  My avatar is the the God of the Sea, Poseidon.   The head is about 4 feet in diameter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@DanielTylerFL wrote:

Thanks so much for the knowledge.  Really, I had this kit setup in a box in storage in the house for awhile, and just have started doing some exploring with the T3i.  I figured the same...work with this to imporve my shots then find a deal when they come out for the 90D.  I'll keep all that in mind when I do decide to upgrade...I just don't want to get really good at photography and sacriface quality in a better body in that time.  I have no problem spending more for a body if it's really going to up my game, but I suppose whats the next tier up from the 90D?  say 2-4k?

-------------------------------------

I suppose so!  I really have no idea about camera bodies seeing that I'm brand new to photography.  I really don't mind spending the money as I would love to do this professionally one day.  I will definitely look into the 5D3 or 4 --- what are the main differences?

I'm just looking for the next tier of camera to suit my needs.  I dont mind even spending up to 3-4K on a camera....or should I stick with a cheaper camera and spend the extra money in glass?  My gut tells me to spend less on the camera and more in the glass...

Well that puts things in perspective.  I think the best advice is to do nothing.  Do not buy a new body at this time.  I think it would be best to learn how to use your T3i, and learn about photography, in general.  Discover why people are making the recommendations that they are, so that you can evaluate the advice for yourself.

Take a look at this recent thread that I created.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

Take a look at the links to the CanonUSA YouTube channel in the first two posts.  They are links to two excellent series of video tutorials that teach you the basics of photography, camera bodies, and lenses.  The EOS 101 series in the first link is very good.

Do a web search for articles and videos about two topics, "Exposure Triangle" and "Depth of Field".  Another good topic to research is "The Rule of Thirds".  Those topics just scratch the surface of the basics of photography.

Next, take your T3i out for test drive and photograph things as you take what you have learned and put it into practice.  Outdoor shooting will give you better results than indoor shooting, because of the strong light source called the Sun. 

What do you photograph?  Anything that gets your attention.  When I do not know what to do, I will spend a weekend shooting just as single shape, or color.  For example, I would go out shoot nothing but round stuff, or square stuff.  I have spent a weekend shooting just subjects that are all red, green, or blue. Shoot as many photos as you can of JUST the one topic.   My favorite subject is "stone stuff".  My avatar is the the God of the Sea, Poseidon.   The head is about 4 feet in diameter.

The way I like to put it is this: Better equipment will always make you better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you are, the more difference better equipment makes.

You really can't go wrong by taking Waddizzle's advice. After a period of getting familiar with your current equipment, you'll be in a much better position to spend your money wisely. You'll be better able to assess what new equipment will do you the most good, given your type of photography and level of experience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@DanielTylerFL wrote:

The way I like to put it is this: Better equipment will always make you better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you are, the more difference better equipment makes.

You really can't go wrong by taking Waddizzle's advice. After a period of getting familiar with your current equipment, you'll be in a much better position to spend your money wisely. You'll be better able to assess what new equipment will do you the most good, given your type of photography and level of experience.

Thanks, Bob.

I used to love to go fishing.  The key to fishing was knowing your fish, knowing when it fed, where it fed, what it liked to eat.  You had to get out early.  Being quiet and patient would frequently be rewarded by good catches.  But, fishing was a messy, stinky hobby.  

I point this out because shooting wildlife reminds me of fishing, except it is not as stinky and messy.  You have to understand your subject wildlife just like you had to understand your targeted fish.  Patience and silence are often rewarded with good captures in the camera.  Try it!

There is nothing a 5D3 or 4 will do for you that a 90D won't do.  Might as well save some money, Right?

"I have a Rebel T3i with the kit lenses. EF f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6."

If you go the 90D route, these lenses will let you down if you consider what there is available.  And it is the lens that makes the photo, not the camera.  Oh, of course you need a good camera but you need the best lenses. Two lenses I am high on right now is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. Slight advantage to the Siggy.  Check out the 90D and one of these two lenses.

As for a tele, might as well go super zoom. Check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There is nothing a 5D3 or 4 will do for you that a 90D won't do.  Might as well save some money, Right?

"I have a Rebel T3i with the kit lenses. EF f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6."

If you go the 90D route, these lenses will let you down if you consider what there is available.  And it is the lens that makes the photo, not the camera.  Oh, of course you need a good camera but you need the best lenses. Two lenses I am high on right now is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. Slight advantage to the Siggy.  Check out the 90D and one of these two lenses.

As for a tele, might as well go super zoom. Check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

Hi Ernie:

I am not familiar with the US market pricing but is it possible to get a 90D body, Sigma 18-35 or Canon 17-88, plus a Tamron 150-600 within the $2k budget?  Also it seems to be a big gap to have between 35mm for the Sigma and 150mm for the Tamron.  It wa with both cost and range coverage that I made the suggestions in my last post.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"I am not familiar with the US market pricing but is it possible to get a 90D body, Sigma 18-35 or Canon 17-88, plus a Tamron 150-600 within the $2k budget?"

No it is not.  That's why it was suggested as a after thought later add-on.

EB

"I will definitely look into the 5D3 or 4 --- what are the main differences?"

IMHO, you don't want "old tech" since you are buying new.  That eliminates the 5D3 and certainly the outdated 6D. Simply buying a newer body is generally the best idea.  Not just the sensor is upgraded in the newest bodies but everything else gets a boost up.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I will definitely look into the 5D3 or 4 --- what are the main differences?"

IMHO, you don't want "old tech" since you are buying new.  That eliminates the 5D3 and certainly the outdated 6D. Simply buying a newer body is generally the best idea.  Not just the sensor is upgraded in the newest bodies but everything else gets a boost up.

I have both cameras, and the improvement I most appreciate in the 5D4 is the full-time level in the viewfinder. (A feature which, BTW, is also found in the considerably older 7D Mk 2.)

The 5D4 also has WiFi, which is a convenience, but really more of a frill than the level is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@DanielTylerFL wrote:
I have a Rebel T3i with the kit lenses. EF f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I’m aiming to grab more birds/dolphins/crocodiles/alligators. Eventually I would love to make some larger prints 2’x3’ish in and around that.

What others have said about those lenses is true.  They are not Canon's best lenses, and the 90D will mercilessly reveal all of their flaws.  They were introduced over a decade ago.  With a 90D, you want to stick to the latest Canon lens releases.

The highly regarded EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM was introduced in 2006, and many 90D users are reporting that the lens is not a good match with the 90D.  It is on sale in the Refurbished Storre for less than $500.  Now, why would Canon apparently try to clear out inventory of this lens?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-17-55-f-28-is-usm-refurbished 

The best lenses for the 90D are most of the Canon L glass, or recent EF-S "STM" zoom lenses released within the past few years.  In fact, users are reporting that the 90D seems to work best with Canon lenses released AFTER the 2nd Generation of Dual Pixel AF bodies were released, beginning with the 80D.  The 90D seems to have a 3rd generation of Dual Pixel AF.

As far as a super telephoto lens for birding goes, the Sigma 150-500mm "C" will work just as well as the Tamron 150-600mm G2,, and do it for a few hundred dollars less.  The Sigma had an AF firmware update in 2017, which transformed the lens into a something completely new.  

With your stated budget, my advice to you is to prioritize whether you want to upgrade your camera body, or buy a super telephoto lens for wildlife photography.  You will not be able to do both on your budget without settling for a compromise on something somewhere.  

Your images will never be better than your lenses, so do put a priority on buying the best glass, which does not mean invest in a lens, instead of camera body upgrade at this time.  Canon seems to be clearing inventory of a number camera bodies and lenses through the Refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-body-refurbished 

That price for a 6D is a steal, and it will allow you to afford one of the 15-600mm super zooms at the same time.  Does the 6D have the most advanced AF system?  No, it does not.  But, it will capture very detailed images with most Canon EF lenses.

5ABD597D-97A9-4CDF-A002-B70D2F637410.jpeg

The above shot is from a 6D, and is slighlty cropped.  It was one of the first shots I captured after upgrading the AF firmware in my Sigma 150-600 "C" lens. The 6D2 is also available in the Refubished Store, and would be my recommendation if you want a full frame body.  The 90D seems to use the same AF system when shooting through the viewfinder.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-mark-ii-body-refurbished 

Again, my advice is decide whether or not you want to upgrade the body, or go out an purchase a high quality lens for wildlife photography.  Do not try to both in one shot on your current budget.  Either buy the best body, or buy the best lens.

Announcements