cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at getting a pack to carry my gear

Antonrides
Contributor

Looking at getting a daybag to carry my gear in. I will want to carry my camera bodt and three lenes including a 100-400mm. I will be using it for day hike so a place to store some other small gear ( jacket lunch )and water would be nice.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here ya go just for you.  <----click

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are thousands of products available and just like purses every one of them appeals to someone. Popular brands are Lowepro, Think Tank & Tamrac, so explore their web sites to see what looks right for the money then do some web shopping

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I had exactly that Canon pack Ebiggs linked to before getting the Thule. It was good for the price but you would have a hard time getting the camera stuff plus the lunch and jacket etc. all in it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have that Canon backpack and it has served me well.  It has been tossed into a lot of overhead bins though I am conscious about what someone else will throw in on top of it.  The zippers and the flaps which provide water resistant closures are OK for the price.  I hesitate to suggest any real long hikes with it fully loaded.  I try not to over fill backpacks!  I carry two camera bodies and two kit lens plus filters and a tri-pod.  Mine is showing a bit more wear then I would have hoped.  One of the pulls on the side zipper has somehow broken making it hard for these old fingers to pull the zipper completely closed.  The water-resistant, overlay flaps are cracked and need some stitching replaced.  Again, the backpack is inexpensive compared to others out there and if you "baby" it along you will have a viable pack for some time.  A word of caution here- remove any external advertising before taking your equipment (bags) into a city setting.  A final note:  seems photographers gravitate to bags, slings and back packs.  Trust your friendly, local photographer and ask them what they use.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

ScottyP
Authority
The posts above list the big 3 or 4 brands. There are dozens and dozens of brands and hundreds of models. Decide first if you want a backpack or a sling. I prefer backpacks, and slings just seem like crooked backpacks, but maybe that's just me.

You can shop B&H because their system lets you narrow your search by all kinds of variables, which is handy. If you have any way to actually SEE them in person near you it really is worth the drive. The one I thought I wanted after a lot of looking looked insanely huge and really awkward when I actually tried one on.

In addition to the ones above, look at Thule. They are the Swedish company that make real hiking equipment, and luggage racks, etc., and their packs really wear well and don't look weird on. The one I got does not have a set place for non-camera stuff though.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements