cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For New Camera And Would Like Some Help

shane
Contributor

Hi all.  I'm looking to upgrade my old Canon Rebel EOS XTi. and have narrowed the field down but I don't really know what would be best so I could really use some help on making the final decision.

My photography interests in order are:

1)  Nature/Landscape

2)  Close-Up (Non-Macro)

3)  Portrait/Family

4)  Astrophotography

5)  Macro

The last 2 aren't very critical.  Also, I have a nice 70-300mm IS lens that cost more than my camera originally did plus a few other accessories so if I could get something that I could use these items with that would be preferred.

My options are:

Canon EOS 77D

Canon EOS T6i

Canon EOS T7i

Canon EOS M3

Canon EOS M5

Canon EOS M6

Canon EOS M50

I made this list based on my price range and the fact that all models are in the 24MP range.

I'm really stuck here.  I see lots of good deals out there on new cameras but then I also see lots of good deals where I might be able to get a lesser (new) model new for the same price as a better (used) model.  Photography is just a hobby for me and I can't afford the really high end stuff but I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range.  Also, if I can use the lenses I have I'm happy to get just a body only vs a package with lenses.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

17 REPLIES 17

@ebiggs1 wrote:

""I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range""

Sometimes the reward exceeds stated limits. But the camera you have is better than the one you wish you had.

Are you serious? I czn't find where the OP says what camera he wishes he had, but what he has now is an XTi. I know for a fact that the XTi was a very good camera in its day (my wife and I each had one), but its day was sometime in 2006! With the possible exception of the M series (about which I know nothing except that it's already obsolete), any other camera mentioned in this thread is superior to the XTi.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

""I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range""

Sometimes the reward exceeds stated limits. But the camera you have is better than the one you wish you had.

Are you serious? I czn't find where the OP says what camera he wishes he had, but what he has now is an XTi. I know for a fact that the XTi was a very good camera in its day (my wife and I each had one), but its day was sometime in 2006! With the possible exception of the M series (about which I know nothing except that it's already obsolete), any other camera mentioned in this thread is superior to the XTi.

Hi Robert:

I understand what you are saying, I just interpreted EB's comment in a more general context - something akin to the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you, Smiley Happy  So I saw the comment as an encouragement to stop wishing and go get it.  But that's just my interpretation.

I still have an XTi (it's a 400D to me!) and I still enjoy taking photos with it

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Robert......

"Are you serious?"... as a heart attack.  What you have is infinity better that what you want or wish you have. If that thought is too much for you to comprehend I have no remedy fro you Robert. You must have run out of things to contradict.

"I know for a fact that the XTi was a very good camera ... (my wife and I each had one),..." So what, I had five of them and used them constantly for work. Immaterial here though, if I have an XTi but I wish I had a 1DX MK II which one is better today for photos?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Sometimes the reward exceeds stated limits."

Robert this means sometimes if you can stretch that budget somewhat it offers greater rewards. Just in case you didn't get that one. I.E. the T7i and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens but the OP has to determine if that is possible.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I suggest the T7i

It is a good entry level camera ..."

I also recommend the Rebel T7i but I can't qualify it as just an "entry level camera". Yeah, it is in the Rebel line we are suggesting but except for build robustness the T7i is a quite capable camera. It has most of the features most photographers want just not the heft.

IMHO, avoid any and all the mirrorless models for now.  Wait a couple years for one of them. Go for the T7i, you'll love it. If you can pull it off budget wise buy just the body (T7i) and buy the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens seperately.  This is a serious outfit and will take you far.

EB

shane
Contributor

Thank you all for the input.  It seems the T7i is the obvious choice.

I've found a deal on a new in box body only for $500.  I was hoping to get the lens too but with this deal it looks like I can purchase a lens separately for less than I can find a body/lens package deal.  Plus the lens I'm looking at is f 3.5-5.6 whereas the ones packaged with the camera are f 4-5.6.

There are some open box deals out there that are really good to.

Also, now I can put off the cost of the lens until I'm ready and make use of the 18-55mm lens I do have but it will be nice to be able to upgrade to the IS version later.

The XTi I have has been and continues to be a great camera but it's time to move up.  I'll be giving my old camera to my wife's niece in Mexico next time we visit.  She likes photography and this will be a huge upgrade for her.

$500 bucks is a great price.  Make sure it is from Canon USA if it is not it is not a good deal.  The Rebel T7i from any top notch retail is around $649, body only.  Regular price.  It is $699 with the kit lens!  That's right you are getting the lens for $49 dollars. The lens is the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens which a decent lens and will perform well for you.

"...the lens I'm looking at is f 3.5-5.6 ..."

f4 vs f3.5 is totally meaningless. No real advantage.The 17-55mm lens that will make a huge difference is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It does not come with the T7i kit so you must purchase it separately. However, your old lenses will work until the piggy bank says OK for the much better f2.8 lens.

" I'll be giving my old camera to my wife's niece ..."

Fantastic idea, get another one hooked on this fascinating hobby.

EB

@shane wrote:

Thank you all for the input.  It seems the T7i is the obvious choice.

I've found a deal on a new in box body only for $500.  I was hoping to get the lens too but with this deal it looks like I can purchase a lens separately for less than I can find a body/lens package deal.  Plus the lens I'm looking at is f 3.5-5.6 whereas the ones packaged with the camera are f 4-5.6.

There are some open box deals out there that are really good to.

Also, now I can put off the cost of the lens until I'm ready and make use of the 18-55mm lens I do have but it will be nice to be able to upgrade to the IS version later.

The XTi I have has been and continues to be a great camera but it's time to move up.  I'll be giving my old camera to my wife's niece in Mexico next time we visit.  She likes photography and this will be a huge upgrade for her.

Well done Shane for getting a deal within your budget.  I would definitely suggest you save up for the 17-55 f2.8 if that is your focal range.  It is arguably the best EF-S lens designed specifically for the APS-C sensor.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements