cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For New Camera And Would Like Some Help

shane
Contributor

Hi all.  I'm looking to upgrade my old Canon Rebel EOS XTi. and have narrowed the field down but I don't really know what would be best so I could really use some help on making the final decision.

My photography interests in order are:

1)  Nature/Landscape

2)  Close-Up (Non-Macro)

3)  Portrait/Family

4)  Astrophotography

5)  Macro

The last 2 aren't very critical.  Also, I have a nice 70-300mm IS lens that cost more than my camera originally did plus a few other accessories so if I could get something that I could use these items with that would be preferred.

My options are:

Canon EOS 77D

Canon EOS T6i

Canon EOS T7i

Canon EOS M3

Canon EOS M5

Canon EOS M6

Canon EOS M50

I made this list based on my price range and the fact that all models are in the 24MP range.

I'm really stuck here.  I see lots of good deals out there on new cameras but then I also see lots of good deals where I might be able to get a lesser (new) model new for the same price as a better (used) model.  Photography is just a hobby for me and I can't afford the really high end stuff but I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range.  Also, if I can use the lenses I have I'm happy to get just a body only vs a package with lenses.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest the T7i

It is a good entry level camera and has dual pixel AF for goog AF during video and live view.

It will work well with your 70-300 (assuming it is Canon)

Yes the lens is a Canon.

Do you know what, if any, the differences between the T7i and 800D are?

@shane wrote:

Yes the lens is a Canon.

Do you know what, if any, the differences between the T7i and 800D are?

The Caon Eos t7i is the same as the 800D.   In North America consumer level cameras are marketed under the Rebel brand with a coding that leaves me totally confused.  For most other places what would be a Rebel is given a xxxD number e.g. 300D, 350D... 800D.  The 800D is thus the non-Northern American T7i (just to confuse you, also known as the Kiss X9i in Japan).

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@shane wrote:

Hi all.  I'm looking to upgrade my old Canon Rebel EOS XTi. and have narrowed the field down but I don't really know what would be best so I could really use some help on making the final decision.

My photography interests in order are:

1)  Nature/Landscape

2)  Close-Up (Non-Macro)

3)  Portrait/Family

4)  Astrophotography

5)  Macro

The last 2 aren't very critical.  Also, I have a nice 70-300mm IS lens that cost more than my camera originally did plus a few other accessories so if I could get something that I could use these items with that would be preferred.

My options are:

Canon EOS 77D

Canon EOS T6i

Canon EOS T7i

Canon EOS M3

Canon EOS M5

Canon EOS M6

Canon EOS M50

I made this list based on my price range and the fact that all models are in the 24MP range.

I'm really stuck here.  I see lots of good deals out there on new cameras but then I also see lots of good deals where I might be able to get a lesser (new) model new for the same price as a better (used) model.  Photography is just a hobby for me and I can't afford the really high end stuff but I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range.  Also, if I can use the lenses I have I'm happy to get just a body only vs a package with lenses.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

If you are using telephoto lenses I would suggest avoiding anything without a viewfinder.  Such cameras mean that you have to hold them at arms's length (or at least bent) with only two points of support.  For telephoto work you want all the stability you can get, so  you want three points of contact (if you recall your goemetry 3 define a plane).

Since you have an EF lens you would need to get an adaptor to use with any M-series body.  That will add bulk, weight and another joint to the system, hence I would suggest sticking with a DSLR.  For what you have described I would suggest the 800D (or if you will T7i) - it's a good camera at a good price point.  If you don't have the range already, the 18-135 IS STM lens is actually quite a good walk-around lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
As mentioned, the M Series cameras are mirrorless, and would require an adapter to use your existing lenses. The remaining cameras are well in excess of you stated budget.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-ii

I recommend the Rebel T7.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle is offering good advice, but as you suggested you would forego the lenses you could get a referbished T7i for $599 and IMHO that is a much better camera than the T7.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-body-refurbished?searchTerm=t7i

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

Waddizzle is offering good advice, but as you suggested you would forego the lenses you could get a referbished T7i for $599 and IMHO that is a much better camera than the T7.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-body-refurbished?searchTerm=t7i

I agree.  But, it does exceed the stated budget.  If you cannnot handle that cost, save up for it.  But, it is on sale, which will not last for long.  And, they do run out of stock on the really good deals, which this one is.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

I agree.  But, it does exceed the stated budget.  If you cannnot handle that cost, save up for it.  But, it is on sale, which will not last for long.  And, they do run out of stock on the really good deals, which this one is.

I took solice from the phrase "I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range" - that didn't seem a hard and fast limit and I think it's worth the extra reach. Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

""I see lots of what I'm looking at in the $500 range""

Sometimes the reward exceeds stated limits. But the camera you have is better than the one you wish you had.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements