cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave Battery in Unplugged Charger?

idria
Apprentice

Is it OK to leave a spare NB-6LH battery in it's unplugged charger? 

This question was somewhat answered in an earlier post, but I would appreciate clarification. 

The answer was it's OK "for a short period of time."  We take extensive trips, and a backup battery may be in an unplugged second charger a few weeks at a time- is this considered a short period? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

I wouldn't do that. I'm pretty sure your charger will drain the battery. You can test that by charging one & leaving it on the charger for a week  to see if it needs to be recharged again.  If the charger is draining the battery it will need more than a few minutes of charging to bring it mback to full power.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Don't do it. Why would you? If you go to the trouble to unplug the charger, why not slide the battery off?
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We take long trips- two months at a time- and only take a small carry-on size pack, so space is at a premium.  Storing the spare battery in the charger also keeps it safe and handy.  The battery is so small it'd be easy to misplace or lose.

I'm going to try the first suggestion and see it loses much charge stored in the charger.  I can live with some loss for the sake of convenience; after all, using it in the camera discharges it, too!

I always leave one of my NB-5L batteries for my S110 in the battery charger and the battery does not go dead.   I just checked one that has been there for about a month and it is fully charged.

Mike Sowsun

Current flows back through the charger transformer windings, the rectifier diodes and whatever leakage the filter caps draw as a continual load on the battery.  How long this will take now becomes the question.  The trip may not be long enough for it to matter.   With no complete circuit, the current draw will be in the form of heat.  It could be measured with an amp/ohm meter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements