cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP E17 charging options

msmith1
Contributor

Planning a short trip to a somewhat remote area and was looking for some kind of options to make sure that I don't run out of batteries. Is there a car charger that will charge  the LP E17?  Or a way of powering the camera with an external source such as a power bank or something similar? Any suggestion appreciated, except go buy more batteries.

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would estimate that all of Canon's current DSLRs have an available power adapter, most especially the camera bodies that are supported by the EOS Webcam Utility software.  In fact, power adapters have been in short supply in recent months.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Oh, yeah.  I am pretty sure the LP-E17 can only be charged with it' AC power charger.  I do not think there is a USB option to charge the battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Because charging the battery requires more power than USB can supply.

You can get an inverter for your charger, or their are third party 12V charger.

Yeah, I checked out Canons website but didn't really see anything. I really don't trust after market gadgets so I might research power inverters and see if that's a viable power source for 120V power. Thanks for the input.

I bought a Watson brand from B&H to charge my Canon XF-400 camcorder batteries from 12 volts when needed.  It has performed flawlessly for 3 years. 

I trust the Watson charger more than I trust most power inverters which are more complex than the charger and face a more competitive market, thus with more motivation to cut costs and corners. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I looked at B&H and Adorama and didn't see anything compatible with my battery. At least with an inverter I can hook up a coffee pot.

You may be surprised at how much current the inverter draws to power your coffee pot, 600 to 1,000 watts is common power consumption for a coffee pot when operating.  Inverters aren't 100% efficient so your car battery will have a very short life if you don't keep the engine at fast idle to charge it.

B&H has the Watson C-1546 in stock for 19.95, charges LP-E17 batteries from 12 or 24 VDC and 100-240VAC.  It appears identical to the model C-1508 I use for the camcorder BP-800 series batteries except for the battery connector itself.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

You may be surprised at how much current the inverter draws to power your coffee pot, 600 to 1,000 watts is common power consumption for a coffee pot when operating.  Inverters aren't 100% efficient so your car battery will have a very short life if you don't keep the engine at fast idle to charge it.

B&H has the Watson C-1546 in stock for 19.95, charges LP-E17 batteries from 12 or 24 VDC and 100-240VAC.  It appears identical to the model C-1508 I use for the camcorder BP-800 series batteries except for the battery connector itself.

Rodger

I was kidding about the coffe pot. I prefer taking only bare essentials.

@msmith1 wrote:

Yeah, I checked out Canons website but didn't really see anything. I really don't trust after market gadgets so I might research power inverters and see if that's a viable power source for 120V power. Thanks for the input.

I looked at B&H and Adorama and didn't see anything compatible with my battery. At least with an inverter I can hook up a coffee pot.

B&H sells a universal Manfotto charger that can charge multiple battery types and can use a 12v source to charge.

AAF359A2-4557-41E6-B064-36D572766BAB.jpeg

A196569D-1484-4BF0-B2E5-490ECD10F06A.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements