cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to purchase additional lenses for my t2i or start fresh with the 6D?

cworthin14
Apprentice

I'm looking to get into wedding photography.  Is it better to purchase additional lenses for my t2i or buy the 6D body?

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

Lenses first, then body.

Of course, you don't tell us what lenses you have, but as a general rule, lenses before body.  Wedding photography requires at least one decent fast lens, as well as a good all around zoom that is reasonably fast (2.8).  Most wedding photogs carry a standard zoom, a telephoto (like a 70-200 2.8), a fast prime (or three), and some like to have a wide angle for venue and detail shots.  You'll need a second camera too  🙂  You should have at least 1 flash as well, though I know photogs that get by without them.

Not to mention, if you only have kit lenses, those won't work on a 6D.

Start small: upgrade some glass, learn your art, reassess what you need, repeat.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The "bread-n-butter" lenses that are widely used by wedding photographers (there are exceptions of course but these two tend to be the most popular) are the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.  

f/2.8 lenses have two advantages.  

First, Indoor weddings tend to take place in poor lighting (for photographic purposes) so having a lens that can collect more light is desirable.  f/2.8 collects light four times faster than an f/5.6 lens.  That means you don't have to boost your ISO as much (which results in noise) or you can use a faster shutter speed (in low light that's very handy as it means you'll get less motion-blur).

Second, low focal ratios offer a shallower depth of field so you can create images with a tack-sharp subject and yet have a beautifully de-focused background.  This makes your subject pop and beautifies the background by softening it.  This, btw, is something that point & shoot cameras and camera phones, etc. cannot do.

A 6D body is going to allow you to shoot at higher ISO with lower noise, will focus in lower light situations, and provides a wider angle of view.  All very desirable IF you already own good glass.

And yes... lenses before body.

Incidentally... lighting is next on the list.  Excellent lighting and skill using the lighting and lighting modifiers will do more to create stunning images than a good camera body.  

Keep in mind YOUR skill is first and foremost.  If the images come out well, you get the credit.  If they come out poorly, you take the blame.  I don't recommend getting into wedding photography unless a person has a solid foundation in photography already.  If a person were to do a studio shoot and the images did not turn out well, you could offer to re-shoot such a session.  But if a wedding doesn't turn out well... there is no do-over.  You've really got to have things down solidly before getting into this.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

As above, especially Tim's last statement.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cale_kat
Mentor

If you take on wedding assignments, then I suggest you get a weather sealed body. Sometimes it rains and I presume you won't get a choice to shoot or not to shoot. Something to think about as you plan your next move.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am in line with cicopo and TCampbell.  And, yes, this is the most important statement, "Keep in mind YOUR skill is first and foremost."

Also, I agree, lenses before body, however, sometimes appearance is everything.  Doing this for so long I think I have seen about every possible circumstance possible but it never ceases to amaze me when a new one arises.

For several years I had five XTi's that I loaned to my assistants.  But a few clients I interviewed have asked what equipment I use.  "You don't use Rebels do you?", was a common question.  My uncle Bob or aunt Bobette can do that for free.  Or the neighbor down the street from me has a Rebel.

Bottom line is, how important that first quote in this post is.  You must offer your customers something they can not get for free. Make it worth their money.

One is your eye and talent.  The ability to see the picture before hand.  And, yes, equipment that the uncle or friend does not have.

I am retired now and don't actively seek jobs but I do a few .  I use all 1 series cameras plus a 5D Mk II along with a 7D.

I generally have, at least 4 or 5 cameras at each wedding.  The 5D gets a 24-70mm f2.8. One 1 series gets a 70-200mm f2.8 and these two cameras do 75% of the shooting.  The 7D is on a tripod with a 100-400mm zoom on it and it sits at the back of the church (or venue).  My assistants have my other 1 series (one or two) with the 24-105mm f4 on them.

Another example of what perception can sometimes be, is what happened while I was at a friends studio the other day.

A lady, new customer, came in for pricing and after a short while of looking the place over she left. On her way out she commented, “I thought you used professional equipment!” We were dumbfounded at that for there was a 5D Mk III with a EF 85mm f1.2L II USM on a tripod that was in plain sight. About the same moment we both noticed a Tamron pinch style lens cap on it. She must have seen that and assumed it wasn't a Canon lens. Some photographers will buy Tamron pinch style lens caps and use them instead of the OE Canon. But the point is just beware.

It makes a big difference if you are doing this for funesy or you are putting groceries on the table. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes yes yes! Wipe all signs of Tamron from the earth. Joking aside, Tamron makes commercial-quality lenses. If someone is confused, well that happens all the time.
Announcements