cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is in-camera sharpness the same as sharpening in post?

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

(for the "Do-a-search" police, I've been searching for a tad over 90 minutes..and a simple URL pointing to a definitive answer will be appreciated as much as a detailed treatise.)

Preamble- serious, but amateur, T3i moving to T6s (maybe 7d next year), and all lenses less than $500 - mostly jpg, but will shoot RAW + L occasionally. 

For JPG shooting:Is In-Camera sharpness 0-to-7 the same as the sharpening in post? If you're going to PP anyway, does in-Camera sharpening provide a benefit that cannot be obtained in post?  Is there any disadvantage to using in-camera sharpening? 

Thanks for your time! 

Dave    

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
10 REPLIES 10

Grampy,

Sharpening does not sharpen anything.  It outlines edges.  So if you 'sharpen' in both place all you are doing is increasing that outline.  A lot of folks do it to the extreme!  Why? Who knows but it isn't good.  No matter how much they think it is. Maybe they mistakenly think it conceals a poor lens.  All the editing features in post should be done at the least level possibile to improve the image.  In this case more is not better.  It is an example of less is more.

Did you state what camera/lens you are using? There may be some technique changes you need to make that will help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements