cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to get into photography and videography what camera.

willysendt
Apprentice

I want to get into photography and videography for snowboarding so I was woundering what would be a good entry level dslr for that.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Rebel T5i is great for a beginner.  You can later advance to the 7D Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you're ready to buy now, then +1 to the T5i.  If it's going to be a few weeks, I'd wait and see what they announce for the T6i (assumed name) next week.  It looks like they're actually making a major revision; it's been many years since they've done so.  I usually don't mention waiting for something that isn't actually out yet, but it should be announced next week which will do one of two things for you: 1) offer some nice new features that are worth the bump in cost, or 2) isn't worth the cost, but will reduce the cost of the T5i.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

New camera announcements are expected at CP+ next week.  

The only thing that makes me nervous about "snowboarding" is the probability that the camera will get sprayed with snow from time to time.  The Rebel bodies are not weather sealed... but the mid-level bodies (60D & 70D) are weather sealed.  The 60D is an older body so you can get it for a bit less but the T5i uses the same sensor as the 60D (image-wise there'd be no difference.)

Before bring a camera in from the cold, you don't want condensation to build up in the internals of the camera.  Put the lens cap (or body cap) on the camera and put it away in camera bag.  Allow the camera to slowly warm up before taking it out (which means if you want to unload the images... eject the memory card while you're still out in the cold, then put the camera away.  Now you can unload the "card" without needing to take out the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Before bring a camera in from the cold, you don't want condensation to build up in the internals of the camera.  Put the lens cap (or body cap) on the camera and put it away in camera bag.  Allow the camera to slowly warm up before taking it out (which means if you want to unload the images... eject the memory card while you're still out in the cold, then put the camera away.  Now you can unload the "card" without needing to take out the camera.

One thing that can help is to bring the camera into a very dry environment (which heated houses often are in the winter). Then if condensation does form, the dry air will evaporate it quickly. People don't like very dry environments and sometimes run humidifiers in the winter. But cameras aren't people.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

C'mon guys!!!!!!!  Smiley Frustrated    Really?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements