cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want an upgrade

JohnMartin
Apprentice

I’ve been doing photography since I was 14, now I’m 18 and would say I’m pretty good at it, or I’ve been told I’m good.

I’m currently using the Canon 100d - this was my first dslr and I’ve loved it..

But I want to make an upgrade, I want to get a professional dlsr like a 6D Mrk 2 or a canon camera with 24 or higher megapixels..

Do you recommend any under £1700

I also do video work so I’m also looking for something that suits photography and video

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JohnMartin wrote:

I’ve been doing photography since I was 14, now I’m 18 and would say I’m pretty good at it, or I’ve been told I’m good.

But I want to make an upgrade, I want to get a professional dlsr like a 6D Mrk 2 or a canon camera with 24 or higher megapixels..

I also do video work so I’m also looking for something that suits photography and video

What lenses do you have?  This will be a major determining factor in recommending a camera body.

What video resolution are you looking for?  Are shooting video from a tripod, or blogging with a stick?  The 80D, 6D2, and the EOS R Series all have great video performance. But, they are a little heavy for stick.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@JohnMartin wrote:

Hi John:

It would help to know what lens or lenses you currently have.

What PRECISELY is it about the camera you have that limits you?  I want you to consider and express what the camera stops you doing, and how a different camera will either improve your photography or remove a constraint to you improving.
What sorts of subjects do you shoot?
What kind of output do you intend to create: e.g. digital images for posting on the web, small prints, large -  high res prints?
What makes you choose to look at the MP value of the camera specifically?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@JohnMartin,

90D....  any day now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to get a professional dlsr like a 6D Mrk 2 or a canon camera with 24 or higher megapixels."

Simple you want the new 90D with 32 MP sensor. I am guessing it wil come in around $1200 USD. However, a camera with a 32 MP APS-C sensor is going to demand the highest quality glass.  In this case that means Canon "L" lenses as no 'kit' lens has the IQ to use a 32 MP sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I want to get a professional dlsr like a 6D Mrk 2 or a canon camera with 24 or higher megapixels."

Simple you want the new 90D with 32 MP sensor. I am guessing it wil come in around $1200 USD. However, a camera with a 32 MP APS-C sensor is going to demand the highest quality glass.  In this case that means Canon "L" lenses as no 'kit' lens has the IQ to use a 32 MP sensor.

Which serves as a reminder that Canon's "L" zooms are not manufactured in focal lengths that are ideal for an APS-C camera. EF-S 50-150mm f/2.8L IS USM, where are you? Actually, even a non-L version of that lens might be welcomed. It would pair nicely with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert I had two of Sigma's version of the 50-150mm f2.8 lens.  Absolutely loved them but even Sigma has discontinued them????

It really begs the question why Canon has ignored what seems like such a good FL for croppers.  And why no 150-600mm super zoom?

Sigma does have an outstanding, actually much better lens albeit a little short, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens and the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens just might make a 90D too hard to resist. Those lenses and 32 MP, man, I could totally get into it.

EB

While I am in no doubt as to the expertise of the advice being given, I AM in doubt as to what the OP is trying to achieve and hence the true benefit to him:  see my post on GAS.

1. We don't know what kinds of things he is photographing,
I observe the advice given is for a general purpose lens configuration, but that has not been defined by the OP apart from doing video.

2. We don't know what he produces, and as I continue to maintain there is a massive difference in producing images for digital rather than high-quality print media.

3.  We don't know what specifically he is trying to improve in his photography apart from an increase in MP size - to me a professional camera is not specific enough - it's a set of features, but we have had no indication of what is holding him back right now.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I admit we, I, sometimes wander a bit but it does provide plenty of gray matter fodder.  Each must make decisions whether what I see as a great outfit is such for them.

The question is, is there anything wrong with my current camera/combo?  Is it holding me back because it lacks features that I need?  Obviously the OP thinks it is. These are just some avenues he needs to consider.

Plus, I just want a new camera!  I have had the disease several times. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I admit we, I, sometimes wander a bit but it does provide plenty of gray matter fodder.  Each must make decisions whether what I see as a great outfit is such for them.

The question is, is there anything wrong with my current camera/combo?  Is it holding me back because it lacks features that I need?  Obviously the OP thinks it is. These are just some avenues he needs to consider.

Plus, I just want a new camera!  I have had the disease several times. Smiley Happy

Ernie, you're going to have to stick your foot in the mirrorless puddle while you're still young enough to slosh around in it a bit. When the R-2 comes out (or maybe sooner), some of us will start to pester you to buy one. Then you can blame us when you finally yield to the temptation.

As for when and how one should buy new equipment, I stand by an observation I came up with several years ago: The better photographer one already is, the more difference better equipment makes. If you're not getting the most out of your current gear, you're unlikely to benefit much from an upgrade, no matter how much you spend or what you spend it on.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements