cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've attached some pictures taken in Ireland, can you take a look

mln13
Contributor

thank  you to all who helped me with my lens issues. I have gotten the Peterson book, and reading it intently. I'm attaching a  picture taken in Ireland last year. Can you all take a look?. Used my 5DM3 with the EF 24-105mm 1.5.  Ireland 247.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, now I understand you're looking for critique...

To my way of thinking, there are two or three parts to how I do critique.  Also, when asking for critique on public forum, expect honesty (nobody would do you any favories if they were dishonest in hopes of not hurting feelings).  So promise not to melt.

If an image were entered into a competition, the judges wouldn't necessarily have time to carefully evaluate each image.  They're looking for "stopping value".  Here's what that means:  Imagine you are thumbing your way through a magazine... looking at photo after after.  They're all "nice"... but then you come across something with impact.  It causes you to stop and linger for a while on that image instead of just continuing to turn the page.  That "pause" is what I mean by "stopping value".  You could shoot a photo fo a sunset, but we've all seen thousands of sunsets so a sunset is unlikely to get anybody's attention (it'd really have to be some incredible sunset).

I'm normally looking for basics...

Is the focus accurate?  

Is the exposure technically correct (not over-exposed or under-exposed)?

- And then there's a variation on this... is the exposure also artistically appealing?  Did you use a narrow depth of field to help some single element in the image stand out and blur the background & foreground?  Did you use a slow shutter speed to create motion blur and imply a sense of motion into a still photo?  This are examples of ways to not just be "technically" correct, but artistically and creatively appealing.

How is the composition?  Are you drawing me to looking at something?  Does it seem balanced?   Is the cropping awkward?

I could go on with more examples, but the point is, I'd look for a technically good image and also an artistically appealing image that draws me in.

While your image is nicefly focused and nicely exposed, what I'm lacking is a focal point of interest.    I suppose we could say that those rocks are a focal point, but the framing looks random and nothing especially draws me to that subject.  

The shutter speed was fast enough to "freeze" the motion of the water, and the water is dramatic (it's not a storm, or massive waves crashing, etc.)  This means there's nothing of particular interest in the water.   if you wanted to evoke a feeling or emotion of tranquility or peace, you could use a very strong neutral density filter (e.g. 10 stop filter) and take a long exposure photo (on a tripod) near evening, and also down near water level and this would blur the water to an almost glass-like look (sometimes if the water is a bit more active you get a foggy look.)  Use of a circular polarizer (CPL) can help tune out the reflection of the water and make it easier to see the bottom through the water. 

You mentioned you have the Peterson book (I assume you are referring to Bryan Peterson's "Understand Exposure").  In that book you'll learn how to shoot in "manual" mode.  I think everyone should learn how to shoot in manual mode and then learn how to to decide when to use fast shutter speeds vs. slow shutter speeds or narrow apertures vs. wide apertures for creative impact.  Once you know "how" to control your cmaera for impact, you don't have to use just "manual" -- I use almost all the modes on my camera.  

There's a book I like on composition by Michael Freeman called "The Photographer's Eye:  Compositon and Design for Better Digital Photos".  

Take some time to read... then take a LOT of time to go shoot and practice.  Some people are strong advocates of "just get out and shoot".  I prefer to shoot with a purpose... read something, then go try to apply that one thing (rather than justing out with no specific goal).   That helps because you can come home, review your shots, and decide how well you achieved your goal (make the goals things that you can realistically achieve.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Janekong
Enthusiast
Nice shot 😄

Nicely exposed and sharp. I would crop it a little to remove extraneous parts.original-1.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

55mm focal length, ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/128th sec.  (Program AE)

I'm inspecting this as though there is an issue you wanted us to notice... but not noticing anything.  Looks like everything worked well.   

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I previously posted a question on the lens forum regarding purchasing a newer lens. After a few comments, and encouragement about using my 5DM3, I thought I would post recent pictures for critique. However I could only post one at a time??? I haven't been doing photography until recently. My camera was a retirement gift.... 

Ok, now I understand you're looking for critique...

To my way of thinking, there are two or three parts to how I do critique.  Also, when asking for critique on public forum, expect honesty (nobody would do you any favories if they were dishonest in hopes of not hurting feelings).  So promise not to melt.

If an image were entered into a competition, the judges wouldn't necessarily have time to carefully evaluate each image.  They're looking for "stopping value".  Here's what that means:  Imagine you are thumbing your way through a magazine... looking at photo after after.  They're all "nice"... but then you come across something with impact.  It causes you to stop and linger for a while on that image instead of just continuing to turn the page.  That "pause" is what I mean by "stopping value".  You could shoot a photo fo a sunset, but we've all seen thousands of sunsets so a sunset is unlikely to get anybody's attention (it'd really have to be some incredible sunset).

I'm normally looking for basics...

Is the focus accurate?  

Is the exposure technically correct (not over-exposed or under-exposed)?

- And then there's a variation on this... is the exposure also artistically appealing?  Did you use a narrow depth of field to help some single element in the image stand out and blur the background & foreground?  Did you use a slow shutter speed to create motion blur and imply a sense of motion into a still photo?  This are examples of ways to not just be "technically" correct, but artistically and creatively appealing.

How is the composition?  Are you drawing me to looking at something?  Does it seem balanced?   Is the cropping awkward?

I could go on with more examples, but the point is, I'd look for a technically good image and also an artistically appealing image that draws me in.

While your image is nicefly focused and nicely exposed, what I'm lacking is a focal point of interest.    I suppose we could say that those rocks are a focal point, but the framing looks random and nothing especially draws me to that subject.  

The shutter speed was fast enough to "freeze" the motion of the water, and the water is dramatic (it's not a storm, or massive waves crashing, etc.)  This means there's nothing of particular interest in the water.   if you wanted to evoke a feeling or emotion of tranquility or peace, you could use a very strong neutral density filter (e.g. 10 stop filter) and take a long exposure photo (on a tripod) near evening, and also down near water level and this would blur the water to an almost glass-like look (sometimes if the water is a bit more active you get a foggy look.)  Use of a circular polarizer (CPL) can help tune out the reflection of the water and make it easier to see the bottom through the water. 

You mentioned you have the Peterson book (I assume you are referring to Bryan Peterson's "Understand Exposure").  In that book you'll learn how to shoot in "manual" mode.  I think everyone should learn how to shoot in manual mode and then learn how to to decide when to use fast shutter speeds vs. slow shutter speeds or narrow apertures vs. wide apertures for creative impact.  Once you know "how" to control your cmaera for impact, you don't have to use just "manual" -- I use almost all the modes on my camera.  

There's a book I like on composition by Michael Freeman called "The Photographer's Eye:  Compositon and Design for Better Digital Photos".  

Take some time to read... then take a LOT of time to go shoot and practice.  Some people are strong advocates of "just get out and shoot".  I prefer to shoot with a purpose... read something, then go try to apply that one thing (rather than justing out with no specific goal).   That helps because you can come home, review your shots, and decide how well you achieved your goal (make the goals things that you can realistically achieve.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TCampbell!!! thank you for taking the time to explain all you did. I really appreciate it.. I have a polarized filter on the way, ordered it via B&H. As for a tripod, that was impossible, top of a cliff in Ireland with the wind blowing.... 

I printed your message so I can use it as a reference.. As for not melting,, ha ha thats not me..

@mln13 wrote:

I previously posted a question on the lens forum regarding purchasing a newer lens. After a few comments, and encouragement about using my 5DM3, I thought I would post recent pictures for critique. However I could only post one at a time??? I haven't been doing photography until recently. My camera was a retirement gift.... 

The dramatic effect in this picture comes from the steep rock face leading down to the water. But that draws your attention to the wildflowers in the lower left corner, and they're out of focus. If you could have found a way to increase the depth of field to bring the flowers into focus (e.g., by using a narrower aperture), the shot would have been greatly improved.

Note that cropping the flowers out won't do the job. One of your respondents tried that, and the result was boring and incoherent.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jamestest1122
Apprentice

wow, which camera are you using?

I found one with the flowers in focus but not with the drama of the other picture. Ireland 497.jpg

Announcements