cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a camera for high school sports

Lisawit
Contributor
I use a T7i, I shoot high school wrestling and football, so lighting is not the best. I use a 28-75 matside and a 70-200 from sidelines.
I find I’m getting a lot of noise. I’m open to crop or full frame. What will be good upgrades? I need to stay around $1200
27 REPLIES 27

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You may not need a camera as much as a better lens. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens would be a good place to start.  And even faster lens may also be good, perhaps the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens but you lose the ability to zoom for the faster aperture. An off brand excellent lens is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

I don't know what 28-85 you have but I bet it is a slow variable ap.

The T7i should do the job if you give it good glass.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lisawit
Contributor
I’m using Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon EOS

I am not a fan of that Tamron lens. It has a poor reputation for bad edge sharpness.  Perhaps that is what you are seeing. What is the 70-200 you are using?

EB

Lisawit
Contributor
I was given that lens so I wouldn’t be bothered replacing it.
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC G2 For football

The Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC G2 is a fantastic lens.  In my estimation it is the 2nd best 70-200 zoom.

How does it perform on your Rebel? If it is good, the other lens may be the culprit.

EB

Lisawit
Contributor
Pretty good from what I’ve seen so far. I got it at the end of the season so I haven’t been able to play with it a lot.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Lisawit wrote:
I use a T7i, I shoot high school wrestling and football, so lighting is not the best. I use a 28-75 matside and a 70-200 from sidelines.
I find I’m getting a lot of noise. I’m open to crop or full frame. What will be good upgrades? I need to stay around $1200

Your shooting scenario, low light sports, is a pretty demanding one for any camera.  Your gear should be able to handle most of it fairly well.  I can see how noise could be a problem, but even the best gear would likely capture images with varying degrees of noise.

The T7i is a pretty decent camera, and so is the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.  An APS-C sensor is not always the best low light performer.  But, I would be curious to know what camera and exposure settings you are using.  Can you post a sample of a “noisy” photo that includes the EXIF data?

I am also curious to know if you save photos in the camera as JPG or RAW files.  What type of post processing software that you use, if any?  If you save your files as RAW, then you can use Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software to reduce much of the noise in the images.  But, you will not be able to perform any lens correction because of the non-Canon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lisawit
Contributor
I shoot in raw, use Lightroom. I actually didn’t know there was canon software 28-75 2.8 6400 1/250

Lisawit
Contributor
It won’t let me add a photo
Announcements