Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

I got Error Err 01, how to fix it

hi. all

Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacs. 

When encountering this error what should we do, I am not familiar with fixing camera errors. Please advise me on how to fix it. thank you very much

Reputable Contributor

Re: I got Error Err 01, how to fix it

Although the official advice is to clean the contacts you will find that this achieves nothing, it is usually a fault within the lens. Try cleaning the lens contacts with a soft cloth, don't use anything abrasive, if that doesn't work then try fitting another lens to the camera.

Forum Elite

Re: I got Error Err 01, how to fix it

[ Edited ]

I can almost guarantee you that cleaning the contacts will do nothing or will it fix anything.  Can you see any physical damage to any of the contacts?  If not it probably isn't the contacts. The only real thing you can do is try another lens and also try it on a different camera.

People that don't change lenses very often or not at all are the ones that are helped by cleaning the contacts.  The act of mounting and unmounting the lens is usually enough to keep the contacts operating. It is an easy thing to do and if done correctly it won't hurt and has the small possibility it might do something. Just alcohol and a qtip.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!