cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Use Exposure Priority Mode

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is Exposure Priority mode?  It is a phrase that I am hearing to describe shooting in Manual with ISO Auto, as more and more photographers discover just how flexible it really is.

Digital cameras allow us to do things that we would have been limited to do by film cameras.  First and foremost on that list things would have to be the ability to shoot hundreds, or even thousands, of shots in a day for free.

Most any digital camera can be set to automatically control all three legs of the exposure triangle, any two legs, any one leg, or no automatic control of exposure, at all.

https://youtu.be/Xmud7-O8HNs

I like Grant Atkinson, and he explains very well how using Manual with ISO Auto allows you to prioritize exposure, or Ev.  This is why this mode of operation seems to be becoming known as Ev, or Exposure Priority mode.  This exposure mode is most effective on bodies that allow you to dial in AEC when in Manual mode, which is what gives it its’ name.

Ev mode is my “go to” mode for action photography.  When I shooting action, I will typically want exact control of shutter speed and aperture value.  With the excellent ISO performance of today’s current DSLRs, ISO has almost become a “don’t care condition.”  

All you need to do is to set a maximum value for Auto ISO mode, and shoot away.  

I can get the shot, and not worry about exposure.  If I am shooting against a bright background sky, or a dark background, i can quickly dial in AEC, which Atkinson shows you how to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Most Canon DSLRs cannot set exposure compensation in Manual mode.  It would seem to be a feature only found on some of the latest models.  The older models cannot do it.  Or, can they?  

The 7D2 can do it, provided you use Auto ISO in Manual mode.  This should be called Exposure Priority mode.  You can reprogram the [SET] button.  You can hold it pressed and adjust AEC on the fly, just as you would adjust shutter speed or aperture.  You should try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements