cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore camera card photos and videos?

Cecilton02
Apprentice

I have used a SD card on my camera and camcorder to hold some photos and videos. Nearly all the memorable moments and important periods are recorded and stored on this SD card. But, recently, this card got some unknown RAW file system problem and asked me to format when trying to access it on my computer. So, without thinking carefully, I just formatted this card. But, the stored videos and photos were also lost with the formatting process. Could I still rescue them back? What am I supposed to do? Thanks for any suggestion! 

7 REPLIES 7

@Cecilton02 wrote:

I have used a SD card on my camera and camcorder to hold some photos and videos. Nearly all the memorable moments and important periods are recorded and stored on this SD card. But, recently, this card got some unknown RAW file system problem and asked me to format when trying to access it on my computer. So, without thinking carefully, I just formatted this card. But, the stored videos and photos were also lost with the formatting process. Could I still rescue them back? What am I supposed to do? Thanks for any suggestion! 

Format commands come in two flavors: In one, the camera merely resets the pointers to make the card appear empty. If you're careful not to write anything new on the card, a good recovery program can usually restore all or most of your data. In the other, the camera physically deletes everything and starts over. The CIA might be able to get your data back, but you probably won't.

Some cameras can do the format either way and have an option you can choose. (The more devastating option is usually called "low-level" formatting.) Others do it one way or the other but don't tell you. So all you can sensibly do is to try a recovery program and hope for the best.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

pjmacd
Enthusiast
There are SD card recovery programs available on the net (just search for "SD card recovery"). I can't recommend any particular one, since I've never had to use one. This points out the critical importance of ALWAYS copying your photos and videos to at least one other storage medium such as an external hard drive.

Start here.

http://www.transcend-info.com/Support/Software-4

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Franciken58
Apprentice

Formatting process will not actually erase all your card camera photos and videos, especially when you are doing a quick format. As long as all your videos and photos are not rewritten or replaced by anything new on this SD card, you can take chances with some data recovery software, like PhotoRec, 4Card Recovery, Recuva, iCare Data Recovery Free and more, to get your wanted card stuffs.

So, immediately search for reliable recovery software to take your stuffs back.

Also learn a lesson to prepare more copies of your precious stuffs on different storage devices, not only on one camera card. 

This is exactly one of the reasons I don't recommend anybody get the huge SD cards.  Get and use several smaller SD cards.  Change them often.   Pros do this.  They have learned to not put all your eggs in one basket.  Usually,albeit, the hard way.

DO NOT USE  that SD card until you try to recover the photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Nicole560
Apprentice

Formatting or deleting process will not actually erase all phone SD card photos, videos and other files. As long as these deleted stuffs are not rewritten or replaced by anything new on this SD card, you can take chances with some data recovery software to get your wanted card stuffs.

So, immediately search for reliable recovery software to take your stuffs back, like PhotoRec, Recuva, iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Make card data backups all the time. 

DericaSion0
Apprentice

Hey, I am sorry to hear that you also lose your desired videos and photos off from camera memory card for unwanted format. To be honest, I had ever also had the similar formatted memory card photo loss problems and had tried many solutions online. Fortunately, some memory card format recovery software finally rescued most of my photos and other stuffs back with several clicks.

So, if you still want to rescue your stuffs back, you may also take chances with such data recovery software.

Hope you also can learn a lesson to prepare and update memory card data backups in the future.

Read more detailed data recovery information here:

http://www.icare-recovery.com/faq/accidentally-formatted-memory-card.html

Announcements