cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you back-up your photos, my hard drive crashed.

ilzho
Rising Star

Yes, I'm one of those that worked off my laptop and my drive crashed and now will not boot up. No, I never backed anything up..... Live and learn....

I have already been told, they cannot retrieve the data Lightroom catalog (photos) from the drive. I do not believe this as I am sure someone can get in there and do a data recovery, it's just a matter of finding the right person.

Hopefully one day I will find that person.

On to my question.....

How do you all back-up your system.

I will be get getting a new apple laptop and am thinking of getting a RAID system as a back-up, but this (back-up) is all new to me.

What do you recommend?

Cloud? Third party System, RAID, other external drives?

I am looking at a few TB's.

Also, I will be using Lightroom and Photoshop from the cloud and would like to edit and store the files on a drive other than my hard drive as I used to do? Does this really slow down the editing? Or is it really not noticeable?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

2 NAS's that replicate.  Then a 3rd back up to an external USB Drive.  Some Cloud storage as well. 

I don't know about Time Machine being the best back up in exsistence (LoL)  Only if you are a Crapple fan.  Mr Cook is not the man Mr Jobs was.  But to each his own. 

DO NOT rely on cloud storage as your primary backup. Companies that provide cloud storage have been known to go bankrupt and leave their customers with no way to recover their files. They may tell you that they're so big and financially secure that it can't possibly happen to them. Don't believe them.

Or victims of a ransomeware attack:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/01/cloud-hosting-provider-dataresolution-net-battling-christmas-eve...

Nothing is 100% safe but I doubt you have anything to worry about if you use MS.  Probably won't go bankrupt very soon!

I no longer worry too much as most of what I do anymore is play time stuff.  If it gets lost or misplaced, so what.  The few jobs I do anymore, I do make extended care to make sure it is safe for at least six months.  Then who cares?

You do have to use reasonable steps to make sure you don't lose stuff but in reality how much of what you have is anybody gonna want later on?  There is well into the several 100 thousand photos on my four USB drives.  Who will want any of it next year? Not only that but who will want to go through all of that?  Yeah there are a few, maybe a thousand, I need ot make sure they get preserved.  Just keep what you need and what you do in perspective, that's all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kvbarkley wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

2 NAS's that replicate.  Then a 3rd back up to an external USB Drive.  Some Cloud storage as well. 

I don't know about Time Machine being the best back up in exsistence (LoL)  Only if you are a Crapple fan.  Mr Cook is not the man Mr Jobs was.  But to each his own. 

DO NOT rely on cloud storage as your primary backup. Companies that provide cloud storage have been known to go bankrupt and leave their customers with no way to recover their files. They may tell you that they're so big and financially secure that it can't possibly happen to them. Don't believe them.

Or victims of a ransomeware attack:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/01/cloud-hosting-provider-dataresolution-net-battling-christmas-eve...

At the City where I last worked, quite a number of our users suffered ransomware attacks. We survived them all, because our backups were in order.

Several Massachusetts cities and towns weren't so lucky (or as well prepared). There was one whose police database got hacked, and they actually paid the ransom. (They didn't really advertise that fact, but those things get around.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
Before you give up on the failed system, look into an external hard drive bay, I have seen several failed systems that data was recovered from, generally the failure was in the OS, if you stored your picture files somewhat logically they may be recoverable, remove the hard drive and put it an external hard drive bay and connect it to another computer and you will probably be able to access the folders where you stored the files, if it powers up the drive, there is a chance.
Announcements