cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I retrieve my pictures after accidently formatting my disk?

sdean
Apprentice

6 REPLIES 6

Mykolas
Authority

Sdean,

You will need to use Digital Image Recovery Software to attempt recovery.  Unfortunately, Canon does not offer any software to recover images from the card.  However, there are many companies who specialize in this process.  We would suggest searching the internet for digital image recovery services to locate such a company.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

cicopo
Elite

Without knowing what disc you're talking about I hope it wasn't the hard drive in your computer. This link has several links to recovery software, many of which are free.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670801

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

markwilliams279
Contributor

If you want to recover pictures from hard disk, you have to download a picture recovery software. There are so many picture recovery software available on the internet. Choose efficient one to recover the formatted photos from hard drive. 

Kayla_Harris
Apprentice

Hello, sdean. What "disk" are you talking about? I think it maybe the "memory card” of your Canon camera. As "Mike" said, you need to find a picture recovery tool. Since there are too many image recovery tools to choose. Here are my experiences:
(1) Carefully check the "File Types" the software supported. Make sure it supports recovering Canon Raw pictures: CR2 and CRW.
(2) In order to improve the chances of canon photo recovery, carefully read the software’s user manual before any operation.
(3) Do not buy any software unless it has found the lost pictures.
(4) Saved the found images to a computer’s hard drive; do not re-save them back to the memory card of your Canon camera.

Bonnyko0
Apprentice

Hey, from my understanding, it is not impossible to recover lost data from formatted storage device. As long as the original device contents are not replaced completely by new stuffs, there are always chances for users to recover previous information back with data recovery software.

So, immediately plunge this disk to your computer and go try format recovery software to take your stuffs back as many as possible.

Here is data recovery guidance that I have ever tried:

http://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/memory-card-format-recovery.html

No matter what occurs in the future, never format memory card or hard drive without data backups again.

Hope it can give you useful clues.

jamestest1122
Apprentice

I suggest that you try this step by step guide: canon photo recovery

hope this helps.

Announcements