cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I recover photos deleted from the memory card?

k2l2holt
Apprentice

I deleted photos from the memory card and would like to recover.  Is there a way to do this?

49 REPLIES 49

Michael007,

Thank you for your post. Since you've had the latest issue with deleting photos from the memory card, I'm wondering if you can shed some light my way? I inadvertently deleted all the photos from the memory card this morning off my Canon Rebel XTi. My gut told me I had just deleted over 10,000+ photos, and then I tried to stop it but it was already too late. My knee jerk reaction was to immediately take 5 pics to see if that cleared up the problems I was having with my Canon. Maybe it did, but now I have a new problem - I have a ton of missing photos. Of course it took precedence over my camera issues. And so I then again realized that wasn't the smartest thing to do as I was probably writing over some of the deleted photos. The good thing about this is that I have downloaded at least half of them somewhere on an external backup drive. The bad thing is I'm not really sure how many photos I lost bc I wasn't able to download after shooting them as there were so many files on the cf card. The camera would shut itself off after 5 minutes of trying to transfer photos from the camera card to my mac photo program. So today I spent the good part of the day reading about many recovery software programs, only to realize that the majority of them are not compatible with a mac computer OR if I did find one that was, I couldn't find the connection on the iMac (which I bought this year). Not one program has been straight forward to use which brings me to why I am messaging you. After I install the program, I never see the camera as a file source. When I use the iMac photo program, I see the Canon. When I connect to the recovery program, I never see the Canon. If I could get past this first step, I think I might have a chance at recovery. Any advice?

@ceweger wrote:

Michael007,

Thank you for your post. Since you've had the latest issue with deleting photos from the memory card, I'm wondering if you can shed some light my way? I inadvertently deleted all the photos from the memory card this morning off my Canon Rebel XTi. My gut told me I had just deleted over 10,000+ photos, and then I tried to stop it but it was already too late. My knee jerk reaction was to immediately take 5 pics to see if that cleared up the problems I was having with my Canon. Maybe it did, but now I have a new problem - I have a ton of missing photos. Of course it took precedence over my camera issues. And so I then again realized that wasn't the smartest thing to do as I was probably writing over some of the deleted photos. The good thing about this is that I have downloaded at least half of them somewhere on an external backup drive. The bad thing is I'm not really sure how many photos I lost bc I wasn't able to download after shooting them as there were so many files on the cf card. The camera would shut itself off after 5 minutes of trying to transfer photos from the camera card to my mac photo program. So today I spent the good part of the day reading about many recovery software programs, only to realize that the majority of them are not compatible with a mac computer OR if I did find one that was, I couldn't find the connection on the iMac (which I bought this year). Not one program has been straight forward to use which brings me to why I am messaging you. After I install the program, I never see the camera as a file source. When I use the iMac photo program, I see the Canon. When I connect to the recovery program, I never see the Canon. If I could get past this first step, I think I might have a chance at recovery. Any advice?

Remove the card from the camera immediately. From that point on, use only a card reader, built into the computer or connected to it via a USB cable, to access the card. If you can't find a recovery program that works on a Mac, try to find someone with a Windows computer who can help you. As a last resort, try to find a company in your area that specializes in such recoveries. It could be expensive, so you'll have to decide how important it is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hello, ceweger! I think RobertTheFat has provided a good answer for you. Please do as what he said. If there is any progress or problems, please let us know. Good luck!

Fernando2
Apprentice

Restore from backup, but I guess this isn't an option here?

For best results, you should use Disk Drill or one of this tools https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/sandisk-recovery-software.html as quickly as possible after accidentally deleting a file. That is because DD can only recover a deleted file if new data has not yet been written to the part of the disk where the deleted file was stored. The longer you wait, the higher the chance that the data will be permanently overwritten.

mackjohn
Apprentice

I also lost images from canon camera sd card. Then I searched for the solution and tried many methods. But failed, to recover lost images. Then from Facebook community expert suggested me try sd card recovery tool. I tried it and recovered all files, you can also use the same tool from the link: -  Memory Card Data Recovery Software [link disabled per forum guidelines]

neil_89
Contributor

Its not that easy to recover your images when they are deleted but since some of the solutions are available for recovery you can try these out. These are mere experiments because only a third party software or a technician could help. Don't get doomed by the articles refering their solutions. I have done pretty much but earned just a natural end without any solution. you could try these steps as some of them could help you may be and never say ever.

Before that 

Apart from accidental deletion, there are many other ways due to which you may lose your precious data like:

• SD Card corruption
  • Formatting SD card
  • Virus infection
  • and as earlier said accidental deletion

I guess yours is accidental deletion.

I have two things to refer go for checking it into temp file(only if that happended during card reading by pc)

else use recuva [link removed per forum guidelines]. This is a free software and genuine product. Just not its helpful in retrieving the images but also help in getting other data too.

i used it too. 

But if you have virus. only paid antivirus can help. Accidental deletion has one percent chances but more if you take help of the expert. These are not that difficult i guess. But next time keep a backup of your photographs. use reputed sd cards rather than local one. Read this article it will help.http://easytechtools.com/recover-photos-pictures-from-sd-card-free/

neil_89
Contributor

grotenydia
Contributor

This has a similar problem: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/Recover-deleted-videos-from-SD-card/td-p/44093
Many people give different solutions, but what you need to know is that you have the possibility to recover them before the data is overwritten. Otherwise, you will lose data forever. Google's answer to this question is a variety of data recovery software. The software I have used is easeUS and anyrecover. In comparison, the latter does a better job.

mackjohn
Apprentice

For deleted data recovery, I recommend you to use (Removed link as per Forum Guidelines)

First, try its free demo version and check deleted photos recovery possibility, then go for full version.

andrii-jsk
Apprentice

Hey there! So, data recovery software is usually able to get back deleted or formatted data from memory cards as long as the data hasn't been overwritten yet. However, since the question was asked way back in 2012, things might have changed by now. You know how technology is always evolving and improving, right?

Newer memory cards may not be recoverable using older data recovery software, and if you've used the memory card quite a bit after deleting the data, the chances of recovering it might go down. So, it's super important to use good and up-to-date data recovery software and to stop using the memory card right away when you realize you've deleted something important. And if the data is really important, it's always a good idea to check with a pro data recovery service too.

Announcements