cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Did You Sell Your First Photograph?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have had no motive to sell any of my photographs.  However, as circumstances would have it, I have sold enough in recent months to purchase a couple of "L" lenses.  How did I do it?  Exposure, I guess would be the word for it.

My general practitioner had recently moved to a larger location.  The hallways were adorned with "D" and "C" sized framed prints, which they changed with the seasons.  However, the doctor's office and exam rooms had bare walls.  So, I gave the doctor a set of lighthouse prints for an exam room.  The new location is a few blocks from the shoreline.

A few patients must have noticed the change in decor, and must have asked about the source of the pictures.  The rest is, as they say, history.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

As odd as it may sound I sold my first photo in Dec by accident. Canadian Pacific R R bought a photo I had taken of the Holiday Train to use on their web site. That doesn't mean I haven't been paid for photos before that because I have, and lots of them. They were however either as part of a collector car insurance appraisal (started doing those in the mid 80's) or combined with magazine articles which pay by the page count. One 2 part article paid for my 5D way back when it was relatively new to the scene. Also some of my photos are "donated" to a non profit magazine (Model Aviation Canada) along with the articles my friends write. I work the flight line & they do the interviews etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Just sold my first two photos yesterday. The photos were taken and editied in lightroom. I posted them on Facebook and received PM from a lady who is building a new website. She asked if she could use my pictures for her new website. You never know what social media can do for you 🙂

You may need to be careful about that. Commercial use of drones even after the flight may be cause for a visit from the FAA or Transport Canada. Personal use is one set of rules but anything commercial falls under a whole lot more restrictive rules.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

You may need to be careful about that. Commercial use of drones even after the flight may be cause for a visit from the FAA or Transport Canada. Personal use is one set of rules but anything commercial falls under a whole lot more restrictive rules.

Definately need to look at the policies closely if it becomes more than a hobby, which it won't. I was just super excited that after years of aerial photo taking somebody was actually interested in them.

Have you registerd your drone with the FAA? (assumes you are in the US). If not here's some relavent info.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/12/16/2015-31750/registration-and-marking-requirements...

@cicopo wrote:

Have you registerd your drone with the FAA? (assumes you are in the US). If not here's some relavent info.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/12/16/2015-31750/registration-and-marking-requirements...

Registration is for hobbiest, totally separate from commercial licensing. We are kinda talking about two different topics here. Anyway...I didnt mean to go off topic, just wanted to share my story. I realize aerial photography may not have it's place here in this forum. I am new to this forum as I just bought my first DSLR last week.

We talk about every form of photography when others want to. IF you're in the US the FAA now forces EVERYONE flying models that have a control system, even control line models weighing 1/2 pound or more. It has been a very big topic especially here in Canada because it won't let us register & many of us fly in the US either while escaping winter or at competitions & fun fly events. IF you're in the US you are no longer allowed to fly until registered. See

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

If you're up here in Canada you're OK for now but there are very strong rumors something similar is coming.

@cicopo wrote:

We talk about every form of photography when others want to. IF you're in the US the FAA now forces EVERYONE flying models that have a control system, even control line models weighing 1/2 pound or more. It has been a very big topic especially here in Canada because it won't let us register & many of us fly in the US either while escaping winter or at competitions & fun fly events. IF you're in the US you are no longer allowed to fly until registered. See

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

If you're up here in Canada you're OK for now but there are very strong rumors something similar is coming.

I am in the U.S. I am very familiar with the FAA and their rediculous intervention with the model aviation community. It is a topic that is very sensitive within the community. I am also a proud member of the AMA, who has been fighting this battle with the FAA since day 1. The new "laws" put forth by the FAA is unconstitutional and will not stand much longer. I cannot wait until the FAA has their day in court facing congress. Regardless I am going to enjoy my hobby without fear 🙂

Last I heard AMA was fighting it BUT recommended members comply for now. I'm with MAAC & know most of the people working with Transport Canada on the same issue but Transport Canada can rule however they want because they do have the authority.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements