cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help photographing animals in zoo's

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello guys and girls

I recently went to chester zoo in the uk to obtain some pictures not the best time out for me as most enclosures where empty my question is on photography policy it seems they will not allow you to take pictures for professional use. Are zoos off limits for making any money? Please let me know your thoughts I did not know this was an issue.

Regards Paul.

PHOTOGRAPHY

11.1          From time to time we and third parties to whom we have provided authority may take photographs and/or video recordings of the Zoo premises, including the car parks and surrounding areas which may feature visitors. By accepting these Terms, you agree that the Zoo or any authorised third party may use such images in perpetuity in any promotional or publicity material in any format whatsoever. You further agree that all copyright and any other intellectual property rights that subsist in or arise out of these materials shall be absolutely owned by us or such authorised third party (subject to our agreement) as the case may be.

11.2          Any photographs and/or video or other image recordings which you take whilst on the Zoo premises (Images) are deemed to be for personal domestic use only. Filming and/or photography for Public Broadcast, commercial purposes, training or student projects are strictly prohibited without the express prior written agreement of the Zoo. For the purposes of this clause 11.2, Public Broadcastmeans transmitting Images to a group of more than 10 people at one time, including by radio or television. Please contact us on 01244 380280 for further information in this regard.

11.3          For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause 11 prevents you from uploading personal Images to social media websites to share for domestic purposes only.       

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is a private facility.  They can set whatever rules they wish.

Most cities and towns charge a fee to production companies to come in and film a movie, because it frequently shuts down streets, which costs time and money for the municipality.  Now, imagine a production company filming a movie when you wish to visit with your kids.  Imagine a line of photographers in front of featured exhibits snapping pictures, and blocking the view for your and your SHORT, little kids.

If people were free to use a zoo in the manner in which you seem to suggest, I would imagine that the policy would be abused.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Different countries have different laws; and within a country public and private facilities are often treated differently, If you think the zoo is overstepping its authority, or if you want to try to come to an agreement with the zoo, only a lawyer (solicitor) certified to practice in the UK can reliably advise you.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No problem, get your own animals, feed them, care for them and house them and you can take as many pictures for free as you want.

Why should you be able to benefit monetarily from the animals without compensating the zoo?

@kvbarkley wrote:

No problem, get your own animals, feed them, care for them and house them and you can take as many pictures for free as you want.

Why should you be able to benefit monetarily from the animals without compensating the zoo?

A fair question, arguably worthy of discussion, but irrelevant to the OP's original inquiry or any useful answer thereto.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

From the OP: 

"it seems they will not allow you to take pictures for professional use. Are zoos off limits for making any money?"

Seems like that was exactly the issue.

in fact the point of the question and perhaps the answer it would seem zoos off limit because they are money grabbing.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

in fact the point of the question and perhaps the answer it would seem zoos off limit because they are money grabbing.

I have already explained it to you.  The zoo is for everyone's use, not just your own.  It is supposed to be SHARED.  If you have no wish to share it with other people, then you negotiate some sort of compensation for the lost income from the lack of visitors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Paul,

I have no idea of the laws in the UK but I can speak informatively about what it is here in the US. I have dealt with it for decades!  Whether that helps or not is unlikely.

In the US, any public facility is open game. Even if the object is a private building or structure.  As long as you can see it from public property. You can photograph anything you can openly see.  Doesn't matter if it is a nobody on the street or a celebrity and even an animal. Basically, If you can see it, you can shoot it.

If on the other hand you are on private property and are asked not to take pictures, you are can not.

Celebrities and pro athletes have exclusive publicity rights so their may be a conflict there if you tried to sell the photo of them. But if they are in a public place you can shoot it.

A professional sports teams' logo is not copyrighted and is fair game, too.  It is trademarked and there is a difference.

Concert halls, sports stadiums, theaters and zoos, etc. usually have some restrictions on photography.  They are considered private property.  The subjects you may want to photograph are fair game but the rub comes from the fact if you violate their rules, you are considered to be trespassing and subject to removal form the premises. They can not take any of your gear or the SD card.  That is still theft no matter what they may say.

But this is the US, not the UK.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs it would appear that doing any sort of commersial photography here in the uk is off limits in any zoo. They said I can take pictures for personal use even on social media but am not allowed to use it for commersial use this is really anoying the only reason I can see they do this is because they are money grabbing B. Let me exsplain chester zoo for example is a charity and is heavly funded by the goverment they got 40 million pounds last year to build a island which is just fancy landscaping rather than build large enclosures for the animals.

I paid for entry and when I emailed them asking to take pictures they said they could not offer free admission as I was offering to share my pictures. After I left the zoo  3 months after that email I looked at their policy and got really pissed off as they never told me about this policy when I emailed them.

So all the pictures I took can not be used not like I got a lot as most enclosures was empty. I did ask for formal permission and I got this reply in responce. In my opinion to stop students from doing projects is a joke funny enough back in 1998  I photographed an owel at the zoo and used it in my final year project at college. 

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry.

In accordance with our terms and conditions, as displayed on our website, any photographs and/or video or other image recordings which you take whilst on the zoo premises are deemed to be for personal domestic use only.

Filming and/or photography for public broadcast, commercial purposes, training or student projects are strictly prohibited.

Kind regards
Sales Team

Chester zoo 

Announcements